• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can Someone help me understand the Basics of Plesk

R

rmletc

I was wondering about some things. I stupidly thought that this was going to be easy to set up Plesk. I don't think I understand the Basics of the Plesk platform. My goal was to run one website from it with its own mail server. That has turned into quite a process that had great failure.

Any way...

What is Plesk?
Is it for those who want to run several websites and be a shared hosting company themselves?
I

What is he whole concept of clients.....?

Any way there is an minimal understanding in a flowchart way what Pleask does and is capable of doing. Can anyone explain it like that?

Plesk is a control panel to manage a server and the sites on it. It's free if you only use it for one site, but it's meant for a shared hosting setup (not free).

The admin creates several clients (persons with a separate login to manage their sites) and a client can have multiple domains.

A flowchart:
plesk-graph1.gif

More information can be found at http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk/

OK, What does client N stand for? And How do you set up the DNS for these sites?

Hello,

There is one thig that you must know:
Plesk has 3 types of accounts built in its architecture:

Client account
Domain account
E-mail account

The Client account is basically the reseller account (can have multiple domain accounts under it)

The domain account is a type of account that will basically store the customer's website

The e-mail account is the type of account that e-mail users can connect to and set different types of setup for their e-mail accounts...

The Server option on the left setups global parameters/applications/options...
So for example to setup the DNS template for all domains to be created go to Server-> DNS and setup the default DNS options. (notice that here we setup variables, not the actual values)

When a domain gets created it will follow that template and create all the DNS entries automatically for that domain...

I hope this clear a little bit more of the Plesk's world...

Welcome,

Regards,
Filipe Miranda

Originally posted by rmletc
OK, What does client N stand for? And How do you set up the DNS for these sites?

N stands for an unlimited amount of clients. So you've got client 1, 2, 3, 4, ...., N (for example client 58).

Back