• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Can the Plesk Firewall extension potentially 'Lock me out' of a server?

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
I am contemplating the installation of the Plesk Firewall extension, where I can see that Policies and Rules can be set as to restrict access to a server based on IP.

Firstly, what is the difference between restricting access by IP within 'Plesk's Firewall Extension' and within 'Tools & Settings > Restrict Administrative Access'? Would I be right in thinking that the latter simply restricts access to Plesk only while the former restricts multiple methods of access (Therefore, via Plesk and SSH etc)?

Secondly, I am worried I may be 'locked out' of the server. Ideally, I would like to restrict all access to a specific IP address. In the event that my IP changes (The need to restart Router for example), what would be the situation then? Am I right in thinking I would be locked out of the server completely or have I misunderstood Plesk's Firewall extension here?

Hi

If you have dinamyc IP of course you not need setup any access by IP restriction

Instead plese use two factor autentification

Plesk firewall will not block you if you configure it in correct way

Hi, @Craig1986.
Firstly, what is the difference between restricting access by IP within 'Plesk's Firewall Extension' and within 'Tools & Settings > Restrict Administrative Access'? Would I be right in thinking that the latter simply restricts access to Plesk only while the former restricts multiple methods of access (Therefore, via Plesk and SSH etc)?
Yes, "Restrict Administrative Access" just allow or deny login to Control Panel for Plesk Administrator or Additional Plesk Administrator from some specified IPs. Firewall can deny access for any IP to any port, so using firewall you can deny login to Control Panel for all users.

Secondly, I am worried I may be 'locked out' of the server. Ideally, I would like to restrict all access to a specific IP address. In the event that my IP changes (The need to restart Router for example), what would be the situation then? Am I right in thinking I would be locked out of the server completely or have I misunderstood Plesk's Firewall extension here?
By default Plesk Firewall have no rules, which deny access to Control Panel or SSH. But if you add specific rules, that deny access for all IPs instead yours, than you really will be locked out. So better be carefully with deny rules, especially for SSH access (SSH can be used to repair everything, except broken SSH access =))

Back