1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot update plugins in WP 3.1.1 : permission issues

Discussion in 'Plesk 10.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by kadoudal, Apr 7, 2011.

1. kadoudal

kadoudal Regular Pleskian

23%
    I tried to use the auto update in WP 3.1.1 ( brand new installation on a new Debian 5 server)
    but after the ftp upload is peformed , I get stucked with permissions issues :

=====================
    Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/google-analytics-for-wordpress.zip…
    Unpacking the update…

An error occurred while updating Google Analytics for WordPress: Could not create directory. /news/wp-content/upgrade/google-analytics-for-wordpress.tmp/google-analytics-for-wordpress.

====
    1 - PHP safe mode is off
    2 - I added apache to pscln group ( psacln:x:1005:www-data,apache in /etc/group)
    3- I also installed apache2-mpm-itk, and added
    IfModule mpm_itk_module>
    AssignUserId MYDOMAINUSER psacln
    </IfModule>
    in my domain vhost.conf

nada ... did anyone solved this issue ? or found a trick ...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Shawn M

Shawn M Basic Pleskian

chmod 0777 /news/wp-content/upgrade/google-analytics-for-wordpress.tmp/google-analytics-for-wordpress

3. kadoudal

23%
    Thanks .. solved
    nothing related to Plesk or permissions....
    I had a plugin 'AskApache Password Protect' which must be desactivated before any update ..
    I did not noticed this functionality ....

4. CCHickman

CCHickman Regular Pleskian

40%
    Not sure if this is helpful, but atomicorp has 'ruid2' in their repos. This allows Wordpress plugins to install without having to enter FTP login/passwords - you can configure it site by site to run under the same credentials as a FTP user.

The directions for ruid2 aren't really there (you have to know what you are doing to use most of the atomicorp stuff) - but the forums on the site are a great resource - and hey, since you're on this forum, you probably won't have a problem with that!

Otherwise, you can try running your Wordpress sites under mod-fcgi (Fast CGI) - which I did and saw my server memory leak like crazy.

5. kadoudal

23%
    Thanks a lot for the info.. I'll have a look into atomicorp ruid2

6. EduardH

EduardH Basic Pleskian

7. RobertasR

RobertasR New Pleskian

55%
    same problem

Hello there,

I think this problems is somehow related to the custom PHP.ini per vhost, which still exists in 10.4.4 update #10 (ubuntu). In this issue custom php.ini files do not work... However, globally turning PHP safe_mode Off (/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini) solved my wordpress permission problem thus leaving my websites unsafe.

Still waiting for a fix on custom PHP.ini.