• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cannot update plugins in WP 3.1.1 : permission issues

kadoudal

Regular Pleskian
I tried to use the auto update in WP 3.1.1 ( brand new installation on a new Debian 5 server)
but after the ftp upload is peformed , I get stucked with permissions issues :

=====================
Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/google-analytics-for-wordpress.zip…
Unpacking the update…

An error occurred while updating Google Analytics for WordPress: Could not create directory. /news/wp-content/upgrade/google-analytics-for-wordpress.tmp/google-analytics-for-wordpress.

====
1 - PHP safe mode is off
2 - I added apache to pscln group ( psacln:x:1005:www-data,apache in /etc/group)
3- I also installed apache2-mpm-itk, and added
IfModule mpm_itk_module>
AssignUserId MYDOMAINUSER psacln
</IfModule>
in my domain vhost.conf

nada ... did anyone solved this issue ? or found a trick ...

Last edited:
chmod 0777 /news/wp-content/upgrade/google-analytics-for-wordpress.tmp/google-analytics-for-wordpress

Thanks .. solved
nothing related to Plesk or permissions....
I had a plugin 'AskApache Password Protect' which must be desactivated before any update ..
I did not noticed this functionality ....

Not sure if this is helpful, but atomicorp has 'ruid2' in their repos. This allows Wordpress plugins to install without having to enter FTP login/passwords - you can configure it site by site to run under the same credentials as a FTP user.

The directions for ruid2 aren't really there (you have to know what you are doing to use most of the atomicorp stuff) - but the forums on the site are a great resource - and hey, since you're on this forum, you probably won't have a problem with that!

Otherwise, you can try running your Wordpress sites under mod-fcgi (Fast CGI) - which I did and saw my server memory leak like crazy.

same problem

Hello there,

I think this problems is somehow related to the custom PHP.ini per vhost, which still exists in 10.4.4 update #10 (ubuntu). In this issue custom php.ini files do not work... However, globally turning PHP safe_mode Off (/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini) solved my wordpress permission problem thus leaving my websites unsafe.

Still waiting for a fix on custom PHP.ini.

Back