• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Can't Add Domain Aliases

M

Michael Legg

I recently removed a domain alias from a domain and now I can't add ANY domain aliases to that domain.

I just get "Error: DNS record already exists."

Bear in mind, I get this error REGARDLESS OF WHAT DOMAIN ALIAS I TRY TO ADD, so it's nothing to do with the previous domain alias. Nevertheless, I've checked the dns_recs and dns_zone tables and there is no sign of the old domain alias and I've checked C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\dns\var and there is no sign of a zone file for the old domain alias.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

There can be different database inconsistencies except described in http://kb.odin.com/en/1364
Empty fields, for example, which can be found with

SELECT * FROM dns_recs WHERE displayHost = '' OR host = '' OR displayVal = '' OR val = '';

So, if you cant find a reason by yourself - contact support team.

There can be different database inconsistencies except described in http://kb.odin.com/en/1364
Empty fields, for example, which can be found with

SELECT * FROM dns_recs WHERE displayHost = '' OR host = '' OR displayVal = '' OR val = '';

So, if you cant find a reason by yourself - contact support team.

SELECT * FROM dns_recs WHERE displayHost = '' OR host = '' OR displayVal = '' OR val = ''; Returned no results

I have a phobia about contacting support, I've only ever done it once in the past and it made my head spin trying to work out which support option to choose (I got it right after 2 attempts) and in the end although I was financially poorer, the problem couldn't be fixed so it was all a waste of time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found it!

There was a weird entry in the format "domain.tld.domain.tld" using the primary domain name in the dns_recs table.

Once I deleted this, domain aliases began working again.

Back