• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can't get DNS setup right

G

GiDEoN82

Hi (first post),

Recently got my own dedicated server, and I am leasing a Plesk 8.1 license with Plus from Burst.Net

So far so good, Plesk installed nicely and is running ok, however, I can't get the DNS set up correctly.

Specs:
Windows 2003 Server (Standard)
Windows DNS Server
IIS 6
Plesk 8.1 fully upgraded and the Windows machine is fully patched.

The problem:
When I manually correct the DNS settings, DNSStuff says all is ok, however, Plesk will update the DNS servers occasionally and thats screwing things up.

I still want Plesk to manage the DNS server, so disabling Plesk DNS and doing all manually ain't an option.

Couple of Questions?
- How do I edit the SOA records (using Plesk) or make sure Plesk doesn't screw up the manually fixed SOA records of my domains
- Why isn't there a ( Retrieve Settings from DNS server in Plesk ? so it doesn't get screwed up after manually fixing all settings
-Who can help me get my DNS records good?

*Example: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=bakx.us
(notice how some things are messed up, the REVERSE DNS is something my host has to fix, but the rest I've to do).

I am able to fix up all settings, but when Plesk comes in again, its screwed up again :(

Thanks in advance,
Gideon

Change your DNS server to Bind then open up the Plesk Database misc table. Add SOA_SERIAL_ZONE YYYYMMDDnn

That will keep your soa serial numbers compliant. Unfortunately this fix does not work with MS DNS.

Open up mailenable administrator and change the hostname, make sure it matches a resolvaeable name to the same IP.

In order to get the single point of failure fixed you will need slave DNS on another server.

Originally posted by squorpeeon
Change your DNS server to Bind then open up the Plesk Database misc table. Add SOA_SERIAL_ZONE YYYYMMDDnn

That will keep your soa serial numbers compliant. Unfortunately this fix does not work with MS DNS.

Open up mailenable administrator and change the hostname, make sure it matches a resolvaeable name to the same IP.

In order to get the single point of failure fixed you will need slave DNS on another server.

Hi, thanks for your reply

I kinda figured it out (thanks to google too), these are the domain templates i'm using currently, if you check the above DNSSTUFF link (1st post) you'll see there are no problems, except a warning about the IMCP packets. This is true because both DNS servers are running the Windows 2003 platform

<domain>. NS ns2.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns1.<domain>.
<domain>. A <ip>
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns1.<domain>. A <ip>
ns2.<domain>. A <otherip!>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.

Hope this helps someone

Back