1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Check backup file integrity

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by gnosis, Oct 11, 2006.

1. gnosis

gnosis Guest

Hello. I've just run the pleskbackup utility for the first time. (previously I'd been using a custom script...thought I'd give this thing a try).

The command used was /plesk_bin_dir/pleskbackup --all /var/backup/pleskbackup

I see that 2 files were created: pleskbackup (2GB) and pleskbackup.001 (58MB)

Does the existence of the second file indicate that there was a problem? I see no mention in the docs about more than one backup file being created.

Also, is there a way to check the integrity of plesk backup files? The only indication I have that it "worked" is the size of the file. Well, the larger file, anyway. 2GB seems smallish but probably about right with good compression. Anyway, how can I tell if this/these backup files are worth anything? Is there a "verify backup file" utility?

Thanks,
    G

2. 0031

0031 Guest

pleskbackup just splits backup file into 2GB parts by default. Second file does not indicate any errors.

At least you may check backup compression correctness: zcat pleskbackup* > /dev/null

I don't know easy way to check content archives correctnes however...

3. JLChafardet

JLChafardet Regular Pleskian

57%
    if you want pleskbackup to split files in a larger zise use the function
    export PLESKX_SPLIT_SIZE=FILESIZEHERE

I personally use 21474836480 (20 gb)

for testing its integrity, well im on the same road as everyone, as it doesnt tells you anything.