• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question CloudFlare and Fail2ban

MuddyMoe

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 9.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.62 #2
What is the best/most current approach to working with CloudFlare and Fail2Ban such that Fail2Ban doesn't ban CloudFlare IPs and Fail2Ban bans are passed on to CloudFlare?

Thank you!

Technically, you can exclude Cloudflare IPs from Fail2Ban in the /etc/fail2ban/jail.local file. To exclude them, simply add them to the [DEFAULT] section's ignoreip directive. Example:
Code:
[DEFAULT]
ignoreip = 34.147.110.144/28 ... and so on ... 127.0.0.1/8 ::1
The subnets that Cloudflare uses, are listed here: IP Ranges

But: I recommend to NOT to do this, because it will allow attackers to brute-force your server as they also come through Cloudflare for domains that have their DNS with Cloudflare. When you list a CF subnet in ignoreip, requests coming from that ip range will be excluded from F2B, so attackers will have all the time they need to break into your server.

What I do recommend though is to exclude Google IP ranges from your server. Those can be found here: https://developers.google.com/search/apis/ipranges/googlebot.json

Technically, you can exclude Cloudflare IPs from Fail2Ban in the /etc/fail2ban/jail.local file. To exclude them, simply add them to the [DEFAULT] section's ignoreip directive. Example:
Code:
[DEFAULT]
ignoreip = 34.147.110.144/28 ... and so on ... 127.0.0.1/8 ::1
The subnets that Cloudflare uses, are listed here: IP Ranges

But: I recommend to NOT to do this, because it will allow attackers to brute-force your server as they also come through Cloudflare for domains that have their DNS with Cloudflare. When you list a CF subnet in ignoreip, requests coming from that ip range will be excluded from F2B, so attackers will have all the time they need to break into your server.

What I do recommend though is to exclude Google IP ranges from your server. Those can be found here: https://developers.google.com/search/apis/ipranges/googlebot.json
Thank you!! I have a follow up question. Does CloudFlare use Google IP ranges or do we have a separate set that we would need to exclude?

Cloudflare does not use Google IP ranges, but Google does. If you want your website indexed in Google, do not block the Google IP ranges.

Back