• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Connecting a second domain

pleskatarian

New Pleskian
Hey there, hope everyone is well.

I am brand new to plesk, and am trying to get my head around it, before doing anything. Please be gentle :)

My account shows everything is unlimited, and my user permissions all have green ticks. Plesk is being paid for by the service provider.

I have one domain (D1) attached already (which I believe is created in a workspace?) - this was set up many moons ago by the SP. I would like to connect a second domain (D2) (which I believe goes into the same workspace?) and add Wordpress, so I can build a website. This domain is under my own godaddy account.

I'd like to check my understanding of the user names I see, as I don't want to cause anyone any issues!

My username is "NameAdmin" - and I am the only user in the user list, and I am marked as owner.

At the bottom left of the D1 dashboard, I see - website at httpdocs, an IP address, and system user ="Nameftp"

If I go to connection info on DB1, I see Nameftp in the IP address section, and NameSQL as another username in the database section. I assume these are both SP log ins, and I don't have the passwords.

When I try to set up the second domain, it auto completes the username as "Nameftp" - Can I use my admin username and password here? Or, is this the SP's log in, and only they can action a new domain? I do seem to have the option to change the ftp user's password, but I am assuming I wouldn't be wise to do this?! Seems bizarre I could do this, which is why I thought its best to ask this question!!

Thank you so much, in advance :)

There are different types of users for different 'things' (services). Which can be a bit confusing at first. Firstly you've got your Plesk account, which you use to login to Plesk. The system user (in your case Nameftp) is a different type of user. Not for logging into Plesk, but as an actual system user. Which can be used to access your webspace files via FTP (and SSH if your Service Provider has enabled that for you). Then there is the database user(s) that are used for connecting/accessing databases. All different types of users with their own login credentials.

The Plesk user and the System user are different type of users. So you can't use the credentials from one to login to another.

When I try to set up the second domain, it auto completes the username as "Nameftp" - Can I use my admin username and password here?
I am not completely sure what steps you've taken here exactly. If I am not mistaken you are asked to enter new user credentials for a new system user? Is that correct? In that case do not use the same credentials as you Plesk account. Rather use unique credentials.

I am not completely sure what steps you've taken here exactly. If I am not mistaken you are asked to enter new user credentials for a new system user? Is that correct? In that case do not use the same credentials as you Plesk account. Rather use unique credentials.
Hi Kasper, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Yes it is quite confusing, and what you have said helps, thank you! :D

Regards setting up a second domain..... Do you know, I cant figure it out now! I thought I had clicked Website & Domains/Add Domain and then selected an option (either Blank or Wordpress). It is within here, that I thought I saw it had auto completed Nameftp" as the username... but I cant seem to recreate what I've seen, so perhaps I was in a different window. The system is very slow and I may have gotten ahead of myself!

I've asked my SP if they can update the MariaDB, so I will wait until I hear back on that, before trying anything else.

Have a lovely day :)

Back