• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Connection Refused :8443 Plesk Onyx

ItsAdam

New Pleskian
Hello Folks;

I've been desperate to try and get any of my several OVH VPS to work with Plesk Onyx; from standard to cloud; none of them will update (even from a fresh wipe), if I update PHP or don't; I can update everything and nothing and still every single time I try and get to the :8443 control panel i get connection refused.

Annoyingly sites still load.

Also on a minor seperate issue; for DNS I added a www to the domain with the sites IP and it always goes to the plesk holding page not the actual website (even though bound to that domain); any ideas?

Thanks

Hi ItsAdam,

"connection refused" always indicates that you may have missed to configure your firewall correctly. Pls. see:

or consider to "flush" all your current firewall rules over your command line ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ): /sbin/iptables -F
It might as well be, that you use Fail2Ban and missed to whitelist "localhost" and your server IP(s).

To investigate possible issues with DNS - settings, pls. consider to post the FQDN, so that people willing to help you don't have to guess ( while guessing normally only wastes time and leads to general documentations and tutorials, but mostly not to your actual root cause ).

That would be delightful if for the fact no firewall is installed or active.

What you mean to say is that by installing the latest version of Plesk a Firewall is added and thus causes the issues? That would be a pretty bad idea in terms of pushing out an update no?

I will try your fix and report back.

That would be delightful if for the fact no firewall is installed or active.

What you mean to say is that by installing the latest version of Plesk a Firewall is added and thus causes the issues? That would be a pretty bad idea in terms of pushing out an update no?

I will try your fix and report back.

This did not work. Sorry.

Would this be an issue with welfare license keys from OVH? Or is this an issue with your updater as it's happened with every single VPS I've tried it on thus far. Previously I had thought it was an early release issue but now you push this update within the admin panel it's kind of a terrible idea!

PS. Totally stopping the IPTABLES service does nothing to the no connection page! Still doesn't work!

Sites work as normal and continue to load correctly; does the port change from 8443 on Onyx?

Last edited:
Hi ItsAdam,

What you mean to say is that by installing the latest version of Plesk a Firewall is added and thus causes the issues?
No, sorry... this is a wrong conclusion.
Some Plesk components NEED an initial setup and can't be just used without configuration. Fail2Ban is one of these components, because Plesk can't just add whitelisted IP(s) within the initial installation process, without asking the user, if he/she wants this as well!

The Plesk Firewall has some standart rules, but the initial installation routine is a "DISABLED" state. ;)

Would this be an issue with welfare license keys from OVH?
"Might be" rather the root cause of an "OVH" - template - installation routine, depending to your choosen operating system, that a firewall from your os vendor has been installed as well. But I think that guesssing will not solve your current issue - investigations should rather point you to the root cause. :)

does the port change from 8443 on Onyx?
No.

You have to go over to further investigations, checking your network, checking running services, checking the corresponding socks and current network - connections.

Hi ItsAdam,

No, sorry... this is a wrong conclusion.
Some Plesk components NEED an initial setup and can't be just used without configuration. Fail2Ban is one of these components, because Plesk can't just add whitelisted IP(s) within the initial installation process, without asking the user, if he/she wants this as well!

The Plesk Firewall has some standart rules, but the initial installation routine is a "DISABLED" state. ;)

"Might be" rather the root cause of an "OVH" - template - installation routine, depending to your choosen operating system, that a firewall from your os vendor has been installed as well. But I think that guesssing will not solve your current issue - investigations should rather point you to the root cause. :)

No.

You have to go over to further investigations, checking your network, checking running services, checking the corresponding socks and current network - connections.

If the control panel was working prior to updating; and the port is the same then the firewall wouldn't have been modified. Websites are working.

It would all point to an issue with Onyx CPanel or an update issue; which no issue was reported when updating.

Either that or again the License keys used with OVH Cloud VPS are not "updated" for use with Plesk; is there any way I can check that the Plesk License is "active" and working?

We're Running CentOS 6
centos-release-6-9.e16.12.3.x86_64

I can PM you the SSH Details; but really this shouldn't be an issue if it was updating correctly; and it is "recommended" that people update to this version (I cannot update to older "known working" versions as I did on the other servers now as Onyx is release).

Last edited:
Hi ItsAdam,

you stated:
from standard to cloud
and
If the control panel was working prior to updating;
... so you changed the operating system? Did you migrate? Did you just "copy&paste" from one server to another?

If you really would love some suggestions here, pls. consider to inform us about

YOUR current operating system
YOUR current Plesk version

... and the steps to reproduce your issue. A general desrciption like "I tried this and that" will never lead to possible investigations and people willing to help are left in the dark, sorry.

From standard to cloud; as in the VPS line; we have various different VPS from OVH and NONE, that's NONE of them update to Plesk Onyx successfully; they all get this refusal to connect. We have SEVEN VPS with OVH, Standard and CLOUD VPS; neither work. none. ALL are CentOS 6.

We're Running CentOS 6
centos-release-6-9.e16.12.3.x86_64

Version of Plesk Onyx is whatever the hell you're suggesting people update to within the Plesk Admin as of 1 hour ago (I just tried again).

Hi ItsAdam,

Version of Plesk Onyx is whatever the hell you're suggesting people update to
wow... you choose nice words for people willing to help you. :(
You might notice, that this community is crowed with NON - Plesk - Team - Member, who are investing their time to help Plesk users, to avoid ( possible ) additional costs, when contacting a professional support team.

Maybe you should consider to contact OVH instead?

Version of Plesk Onyx is whatever the hell you're suggesting people update to.

It's a phrease when you don't know? And I would contact OVH if it didn't take them 12 years to respond to a support ticket; and they're just going to send me this way since it's obviously a plesk problem.

And it wouldn't be a problem if plesk didn't break after an update.

Updating to previous version of plesk never was an issue; updating to Onyx is an issue and whats worse is you're FORCING peopel to update to plesk onyx by not showing previous *stable/working* version of plesks to update to.

The only thing you can hint to is an OS Firewall issue when it obviously isn't, especially seeing as the ports were already open and no such firewall is enabled by default anyway.

Toppped off with the fact that the websites are still working and so is SSH it's an issue with Plesk or the Panel, which none is willing to see or help with.

These issues are quite frankly why CPanel is obviously superior; and since no help is given I will look at going back to that, and my only conclusion at this time is that Plesk is an unstable; broken release pushing platform that's a total waste of time and effort.

Great advertising.

The conclusion of this is then is 2 choices:

1), Keep using Plesk with an old stable version with old issues and exploits (potentially).
2), Switch to CPanel and have none of these issues, when you do have an issue you have an active community quick to help.

sw-cp-server failed to start since updating 10/10

Refuses to start; we're back to update issue.

2017/04/16 03:41:18 [error] 1763#0: *112 "/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/recordings/index.php" is not found (2: No such file or directory), client: 185.40.4.169, ser$
2017/04/18 15:31:00 [notice] 7036#0: using inherited sockets from "7;8;9;10;11;"
2017/04/18 15:32:04 [emerg] 13020#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
2017/04/18 15:32:49 [emerg] 16863#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
2017/04/18 15:46:38 [emerg] 21357#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
2017/04/18 16:30:43 [emerg] 21601#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
2017/04/18 17:03:15 [emerg] 23982#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
2017/04/18 17:03:59 [emerg] 24516#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
2017/04/18 17:04:06 [emerg] 24523#0: "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1

# service sw-cp-server restart
sw-cp-serverd: nginx: [emerg] "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
sw-cp-serverd: nginx: configuration file /etc/sw-cp-server/config test failed
Cause
This is a software issue with internal # PPPM-3228 .

Resolution
Remove /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf file and restart sw-cp-server service:

# rm -f /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf

Fixed it myself; Why this config file needs to be deleted for Plesk to work after an update is beyond me; either way that's an issue with your installer.

Exactly the same situation just happend to me. Clean VPS installation on ovh. First thing upgrade from default Plesk 12 to Plesk Onyx. Connection refused, plesk repair was showing everything OK. Removing ssl.conf was solution.

sw-cp-serverd: nginx: [emerg] "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf:1
Cause

Resolution

Fixed it myself; Why this config file needs to be deleted for Plesk to work after an update is beyond me; either way that's an issue with your installer.

Great Help!! many thanks to you for arising this question and also providing the solution.

Cause

Resolution

@ItsAdam - this worked for me too. Moved to a new server and restored via a backup and this did the trick. Thanks!

Fixed issue I had after upgrading, and getting connection refused on Admin. I didn't even need to delete the ssl.conf file.
Thanks for answering ItsAdam.

Back