• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Converting to MS DNS

S

shane01

Hi Guys,

I am currently working with BIND for my Plesk Hosting server. I would like to convert this over to using MS DNS. However, I can't find any information on how to go about this.

How is it done? What are the potential issues associated with it? Has anyone done it successfully? Has any one had any problems doing it?

Also, what structure would it use? We would like it to create a single zone (ie: ".") and then add all the relevant DNS entries under that (ie: "test.com.")... that way we can use our offsite DNS servers to replicate the entire "." zone.

Any information would be helpful.

Shane

I think the only way you can convert from Bind to MSDNS is with a migration or restore to a new server with only MSDNS installed.

I've never used Bind on Windows as I prefer MSDNS over it. You create a Master Zone for each domain where all the records are then kept in. (kinda like a folder structure) You can set the server or domain to allow transfers to other secondary servers (you can set this in Plesk or MSDNS).
All of our servers, linux and windows, are set to do transfers to a central Windows DNS server that acts as our secondary namesesrver.

Wouldn't that mean manually creating a DNS zone on the secondary for each new primary zone created in Plesk?

How do you make sure in a new install that MSDNS is used and not BIND?

If MS DNS is installed it will be visible within the Server -> Component Management area.

You would click the heading and within the next page you can switch the radio button to MS DNS, Plesk will recreate the relevant DNS zones and switch to the server running MS DNS.

Is one better then the other? I am redoing my plesk server as we speak and i remember last time having a shitload of issues with BIND and would like to avoid them this time.

Originally posted by shane01
Wouldn't that mean manually creating a DNS zone on the secondary for each new primary zone created in Plesk?

Yes, this is a manual process for me, but takes less than 5 mins so I don't mind.

Back