• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Cookie/Session TimeOut for client websites

TeamWalther-IT

New Pleskian
Hi,

I managed to change the Session-TimeOut in Plesk-Panel successfully. But I am not able to change the Session TimeOut for any of mine client Websites. I tried to add the following parameters to the local php settings of the client website :

session.gc_probability = 1
session.gc_divisor = 1
session.gc_maxlifetime = 21600
session.cookie_lifetime = 21600

The website is running PHP 7.2.14 (FPM). The server is running Debian.

phpinfo() shows the cookie lifetime of 21600, but different content management systems logged off after 10 minutes.

Any suggestions ?

regards Torsten

Ok, I managed to get it working for me now.

I changed the default value of 1440 (24 minutes) to 21600 (6 hours) for "session.gc_maxlifetime" in the following php.ini files :
/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini
/etc/php5/cli/php.ini
/etc/php5/fpm/php.ini

On Debian / Ubuntu there is a cronjob that removes all sessions in the standard session save path which are older than the max value of "session.gc_maxlifetime" in all php.ini files... => /etc/cron.d/php5 ... unfortunately, this script only considers the standard php.ini files and ignores the manual added additional parameters in client sites in PHP. The Cronjob runs every 30 minutes and deletes in standard sessions that are older than 24 minutes. After changing from 1440 to 21600, the sessions will now be deleted after 6 hours.

Because of security reason and to reduce the chance of session hijacking, it would be better to left the standard value of 1440 unchanged and modify the "session.save_path" parameter explicit for one client website. If the sessions are stored in a different directory than the standard one, they will not get deleted by that cronjob. You can than add the following directives for example as additional php-parameters to that website :

session.gc_probability = 1
session.gc_divisor = 1
session.gc_maxlifetime = 21600
session.cookie_lifetime = 21600

If you go this option, you have to handle the cleanup of the separate session.save_path by your own, for example with a script like this :
find /path/to/sessions -cmin +24 -type f | xargs rm

regards Torsten

Back