1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Copying Incoming and Outgoing E-Mail

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by CPFarhood, Jul 19, 2005.

1. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Guest

I host a domain for a company that would like to keep copies of incoming and outgoing e-mail (for legal purposes). How would i go about setting this up for them?

2. serve-you.net

serve-you.net Guest

There is no easy way to do it. sent mail is saved on the client side, not the server side. Incoming you could just add a redirect to each mailbox, and have it go to a "catchall" type mailbox. The other way would be to manually backup /var/qmail/mailnames/domainname. You'd also get any sent mail that may actually be on the server (like from webmail).

3. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Guest

I found a program called Qmail Tap that does what i need, but it would require a rebuild of Qmail, does sw-soft include the sources with the running configuration?

Here's the program
    http://inter7.com/?page=qmailtap

4. serve-you.net

serve-you.net Guest

No. Plesk modifies the way that qmail runs, in order for it to integrate with the CP. Usually rebuilding qmail on a plesk box, means running a different queue, such as qmail-scanner, or some other "wrapper".

The patch you pointed out, does nothing special from what I can tell. Like I said before, just add a redirect to each user, and you will get the same thing.

5. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Guest

Do redirects keep a copy of the message for that specific user?

6. serve-you.net

serve-you.net Guest

If you have a mailbox setup, and setup a redirect, it will save the message like normal to the mailbox, AND send a copy to the redirect address.

7. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Guest

Any solution for outgoing messages?

8. serve-you.net

serve-you.net Guest

Other than that, it would have to happen on the client side.