• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Could not issue/renew Let's Encrypt certificates --> Secure Connection Failed for PLESK admin panel

Brovning

New Pleskian
Hello,
I have configured SSL with Let's Encrypt for several of my domains.
One of the certificates has been configured for the PLESK admin Panel, too.

The renew process of the certificate which is also used for the PLESK admin Panel, failed with the following mail:
Could not secure domains of XYZ (login XYZ) with Let's Encrypt certificates. Please log in to Plesk and secure the domains listed below manually.

Securing of the following domains has failed:
<none>

The following domains have been secured without some of their Subject Alternative Names:
<none>

Could not renew Let's Encrypt certificates for XYZ (login XYZ). Please log in to Plesk and renew the certificates listed below manually.

Renewal of the following Let's Encrypt certificates has failed:
* 'Lets Encrypt XYZ.de' [days to expire: 29]
[-] XYZ.de
[-] www.XYZ.de
Remove certificate failure: Eines der Zertifikate, die Sie löschen möchten, wird zum Schutz des Mailservers verwendet.

The following Let's Encrypt certificates have been renewed without some of their Subject Alternative Names:
<none>

Legend:
[+] This domain is secure. The domain's SSL/TLS certificate from Let's Encrypt has been issued/renewed.
[-] This domain is not secure. Either the domain's SSL/TLS certificate from Let's Encrypt could not be issued/renewed or the domain name was excluded from the certificate. Renew the certificate manually or request a new one to secure this domain.

As a result of this failure, I am no longer able to login to my PLESK admin panel. The following error message is displayed in the browser while opening the link for the PLESK admin panel:
Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

How can I solve this issue?
Somehow, I have to reset the used certificate of the PLESK admin panel to the default certificate, but how can I handle this?

Best regards,

Brov

Hello Adam,
thank you for your answer!
But I am no longer able to login into the PLESK admin panel, because the secure connection cannot be loaded.
I assume the certificate has been deleted, but the new certificate has not been created.

How can I change the certificate back to the default certificate without the PLESK admin panel.
(I am using a Windows Server)

You should still be able to add an exception for the expired certificate in your browser to access the Plesk control panel.

In Chrome just go to your Plesk admin URL click the "Advanced" button then "Proceed to www.mywebsite.com (unsafe)" when you see the warning about the certificate

In Firefox its similar except its just says "Add Exception" after the advanced step

It should look something like the following:

chrome-your-connection-is-not-private.png

You would then go "Tools & Settings" > "SSL/TLS Certificates" Change the certificate back to the default certificate for securing Plesk.

Then go to the domain previously used to secure Plesk and manually renew the certificate, then go back in to "Tools & Settings" > "SSL/TLS Certificates" and re-add the certificate once it has renewed.

Hello,
sorry, I forgot to post my solution for the problem.
I was not able to access my server via web.

Solution:
- Login to your Windows-Server via Remote Desktop
- open http://localhost:8880/admin/home?context=home (not HTTPS!)
- change the SSL certificate of the Plesk admin panel to the default certificate
--> problem solved!

Back