• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Could not obtain directory: cURL error 35: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org:443

Taimon12

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.58 Update #2
Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing an issue renewing my Let's Encrypt certificate. I'm getting the following error message:

Could not obtain directory: cURL error 35: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org:443 (see libcurl - Error Codes) for https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory

I tried accessing letsencrypt.org with curl and received the following message:

# curl -v Boulder: The Let's Encrypt CA
* Rebuilt URL to: Boulder: The Let's Encrypt CA
* Trying 2606:4700:60:0:f53d:5624:85c7:3a2c...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org (2606:4700:60:0:f53d:5624:85c7:3a2c) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
CApath: none
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org:443
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org:443

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you,
Thomas

Hi Peter

I have check IPv6 connections are fully permitted.
Everything worked in the past, so I'm at a loss.

Did your DNS settings change, especially regarding IPv4 and IPv6 records? The symptoms point to a situation where some traffic works with Let's Encrypt, but some other traffic does not. And that normally means that IPv4 works, but IPv6 not (or vice versa).

If you cannot find out the root cause I suggest contacting Plesk support so that they can check it for you.

I have not changed anything, neither the server nor the network, everything has been working for more than 2 years now without any significant changes (except the updates of Plesk).
I will contact Plesk support.

Stupid question but how can I contact support?
I was able to create a report ID in Plesk, but when I click on it and have to register, I get to Plesk 360 where I am registered but cannot create a support ticket.

I have found the error, the router has made an update and activated Ipv6, after I have deactivated this, Let's Encrypt is now working again.

Back