• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Couple fail2ban questions and issues.

Kain

New Pleskian
Hi there,

So after my first problems with fail2ban when I installed it manually on the server and locked myself out I just find out you can easily install fail2ban through a couple clicks within Plesk :D

So got it installed but now I got issues with the jail.

I choose the apache, panel and WP jail (or do I have to select em all?) to be active but then I get errors stating:
Code:
Unable to switch on the selected jails: f2bmng failed: ERROR NOK: ('plesk-apache',)
ERROR NOK: ('plesk-panel',)
ERROR NOK: ('plesk-wordpress',)
ERROR No file(s) found for glob /var/log/secure
ERROR Failed during configuration: Have not found any log file for ssh jail
ERROR:f2bmng:Command '['/usr/bin/fail2ban-client', 'reload', 'ssh']' returned non-zero exit status 255
ERROR:f2bmng:Failed to reload following jails due to errors in configuration: ssh.
I got no idea what that all means but they don't become active.

Also got a settings question, what's the best setting for "Time interval for detection of subsequent attacks *" it's default 300 seconds but 10 minutes seems a bit long?

Cheers.

Hey there Kain,

From the looks of it, you didn't turn on intrusion detection first. Make sure all the jails is currently off then go to Settings and place a check mark next to "Enable intrusion detection" and hit apply to save the settings. Once you do that, try turning on a jail again and this time it should turn on with no issue.

As I have slept a little more then usual I google again and the answer was rather easy IF you know linux which I don't bwhaha only have a linux server to cut the costs for now.

All I had to do was this:

Code:
touch /var/log/secure
chown root. /var/log/secure
chmod 0600 /var/log/secure

Back