• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Courier IMAP returning old messages to blackberry

dcollis

New Pleskian
I have a Blackberry with a push email service from Vodafone. What this basically means is that Vodafone has a blackberry server that checks my imap mail account and pushes the mail updates to my phone.

Unfortunately, what is happening is that I am occasionally (maybe one a day on average) being pushed old messages from months or years back that are already read.

I have looked at the headers of the messages in question and there doesn't seem to be anything strange about them - all the dates in the "Received" sections are correct as well as the "Date" section.
There doesn't seem to be any reason for them to come through - the time they arrive appears to have no relation to the time + date of the old message - I can't work out any pattern for why certain messages come through.
I understand different mail servers can all implement their own additions to headers and mess around with them until they become difficult to parse, but so far the old mail has come from different people (and most of the time their old mail goes unnoticed). Basically I can't see why particular messages should suddenly be re-sent to me.

I got in touch with Vodafone who had this to say:
"Having taken a look at this issue I think that at some point the emails you're getting which you'd already received when originally sent have possibly been amended in some way which has resulted in the BlackBerry service assigning with a new unique ID which in turn has resulted in this being pushed to your BlackBerry. To get this look into further I'd recommend contacting your mail server providers to see whether they're to shed any further light on this."

Of course, I am my provider and I replied to them letting them know of my set up (Courier-IMAP, Plesk 9, CentOS 5), but they basically told me to work it out myself and maybe contact RIM, as they are sure the problem is unique to me.

As far as I know I am not modifying the messages in any way that could cause them to suddenly pop up again to Vodafone/Blackberry. Is Plesk? No mail client that I use has this problem (squirrelmail, thunderbird, @mail), so I don't see how Vodafone could be.

Any ideas anyone? It's not a major problem of course, I am just intrigued now and want to get to the bottom of it :)

I posted on the Vodafone UK forums here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18672
My next stop will probably be the RIM forums...

Back