• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CPU Usage

G

grumpygann

I have a question and I'll bet that this question has been asked and anwered a number of times. But I can't find it anywhere. I have a Virtuozzo VPS with a Plesk 8.1 control panel. Is the CPU Usage shown on the system statistics page those of the VPS only or are they those of the whole server? Our usage has been > 90% for about the past 5 days and we haven't changed anything but I think that our host has. I have even shut down CF and SQL Server and it still was > 90%. So the answer to this question might help me figure out what might be going on.

Thanks

Perry Gann

Hi grumpygann,

I've been asking about the same thing for weeks and can't seem to get an answer or any input whatsoever.

Have you tried rebooting the VPS? If so, and the problem doesn't go away, it sounds like we're in the same boat.

Here's a link to my thread with some of my details:

http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44165

My host hasn't been helpful whatsoever. They're answer is basically it must be your sites or something you put on there. Yet, again, rebooting doesn't do a thing to fix it.

Here are two other postings on the net I was looking at last night:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/system%20.html

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1030139428

It seems that a vast majority of people with this very same problem traced it back to a USB device (printer, hub, monitor, etc...). Another common theme seems to be Dell computers.

Let's hope two voices are louder than one :)

I saw your post before I posted. I saw that you are in Canada, would you be hosted on a host in Ottawa? I am. I am not looking at the statistics in the same way that you are I am just relying on what the Plesk control panel is telling me and my gut says it isn't right. I was running fine up until late last week when I think that the host updated something. I have raised the issue with them but haven't heard anything back yet.

Still haven't gotten the answer to my question. One of the host's guys says that the usage shown is for the VPS but I am not confident that that is the case. If it is something is chewing up CPU bandwidth.

GG

I looked back at your questions and to answer no I didn't reboot as about a month ago we has several reboots that were disasters and I don't want to waste time on what happened. Some were the hosts problem and they said that the others were ours due to malware/viruses that we had contributed to. Not sure how, as I said long story.

I looked at the links that you posted and am not sure how the device issues can be a factor here. We have no access to the server except via FTP and HTTP.

GG

Well my problem seeems to have disappeared. I checked about an hour ago and usage has dropped to about 15-25%. I still don't have any idea what changed but I didn't make any changes.

GG

Mine was going nuts since last night and finally abated a few hours ago too. It'll be back.

Post back here if you find it happening again. If it's the same problem I'm having chances are you'll notice it again.

Maybe the two of us can find some commonalities that'll help point to the problem.

Cheers

Well I heard from my hosting provider last night and the word was that I wasn't the only VPS experiencing the problem and they hadn't done anything. They had contacted SWSoft re: Virtuozzo and had been given a patch that should resolve the problem permanently. Yesterday things seemed much better than the previous 5 or 6 days (I don't know what they did yesterday but it must have been something). Usage is way down today, 15-20%. Their email said that the issue was caused by VPS's stealing cycles from other VPS's and that was what the patch was supposed to address. My take was that they installed one or more additional VPS's last week that may have possessed this pathological behavior. Things seem to have gone back to normal.

You might want to check on this.

GG

Back