• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Cron: ERROR: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/usr/sbin/nologin'

TorbHo

Basic Pleskian
Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS‬
Plesk Obsidian, Version 18.0.24

Hello,

when I start a specific cron job via Plesk, I get the following error:

ERROR: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/usr/sbin/nologin'

The cron runs under the user www-data and should just load a web-url with a php script.

Thank you for your help!

What type of command is executed? It looks as if you are trying to run a shell command, but there is no shell access configured in the webspace subscription.

The cron just runs a php script via https:// url.
If I run the script from another server it works, but the same server where the script is located gives the error message.

Is this really configured as "Run as PHP"? It seems it is not but rather you are trying to execute PHP through the shell. If it was configured as "Run as PHP" then you would not need to enter a URL.

Now I tried to run script as PHP script via cron-style
Code:
* * * * * /usr/bin/php -f /var/www/vhosts/html/script.php  &> /dev/null
Same error.

If the script is located on a server on the Internet and you normally would only want to open it through a GET, that process normally cannot deliver the error result you are seeing.

Could you please test the same setting with something else, for example simply downloading any other website (URL)?

Back