• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Cronjob to import addresses to mailing list

dennis_81

Basic Pleskian
Hello,
I am looking for a way to import a list of eMail addresses into the mailinglist by job.

The mail addresses are in a SQL database. But I have understood so far that there is no direct way to do this.
But I could of course write this list via PHP into a .txt or similar.

Can I import this list automatically by task, e.g. every hour?

I know the solution is somewhere here:

Code:
plesk bin maillist --update MailinglistName -members add:[email protected] -domain example.com

But how do I get Plesk to import content from a text file here, and then how exactly do I run this command via cronjob?

Glad about any hint.

Thank you
Dennis

One possible approach could be this:

Create a .txt file that contains all the mail addresses that should be added, example "list.txt":
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Then run a small script to import those addresses:
Bash:
for address in `cat list.txt` ; do domain=$(echo $address | sed 's/^\(.*\)@\(.*\)$/\2/') ; plesk bin maillist --update MailinglistName -members add:$address -domain $domain ; done

There are probably more elegant ways to do it but this quick hack should do the job....

Hello Monty,

thank you for your answer. Sounds good so far.
I am unfortunately a complete newbie in Plesk. Therefore still a few questions about it:

When I generate the text file, it is in the root of the website. How do I call this text file from the script then?

Can I call your command directly as a cronjob in the Plesk GUI? Or what do I have to do to schedule this script as a task?

If we assume that your text file is /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/list.txt then:

You could create a bash script /var/www/vhosts/example/import.sh with the content:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for address in `cat /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/list.txt` ; do
    domain=$(echo $address | sed 's/^\(.*\)@\(.*\)$/\2/')
    plesk bin maillist --update MailinglistName -members add:$address -domain $domain
done

Then, make that script executable: chmod +x /var/www/vhosts/example/import.sh

And finally, create a scheduled task in Plesk as root in Tools & Settings -> Scheduled Tasks with the command:
/var/www/vhosts/example/import.sh

Hi @Monty

thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
unfortunately it took a moment until i could test it but I think this is how it works.
However, I still have a small permission problem:

If I execute the command directly in SSH terminal with SUDO, it works great.
But if I create a task with my Plesk Administrator, I get the following error:

1643471112431.png

Code:
/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/bash/import.sh: line 5: plesk: command not found

My bash script looks like this

Code:
#!/bin/bash

for address in `cat /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/list.txt` ; do
    domain=$(echo $address | sed 's/^\(.*\)@\(.*\)$/\2/')
    plesk bin maillist --update testverteiler -members add:$address -domain mydomain.com
done

I suspect this is because I can't access the vhosts subdirectory even with my Plesk Administrator.

But when I try to create and start the task directly with my domain user, I get the same error.

What do I have to change so that this also works as a task?

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Dennis

Replace
Bash:
plesk bin maillist --update testverteiler -members add:$address -domain mydomain.com

with
Bash:
/usr/local/psa/bin/maillist --update testverteiler -members add:$address -domain mydomain.com

Back