• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Curl update using build from source - safe or not?

Matt N

New Pleskian
Hi All,

I am stuck between a rock, a hard place, and a OS that hasn't updated curl in ages! :)

Firstly, here's some details :

Code:
OS         :    CloudLinux 7.7 (Valery Bykovsky)‬
OS        :    Centos 7.7
Plesk    :    Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.24, last updated on Feb 19, 2020 08:16 PM
Curl ver:    7.29
OS PHP    :    5.4.16

I am running WHMCS - which has a "helpful" feature that tells clients whether they have an SSL installed on their site or not ... which is great - except it relies on the Curl implementation of the OS - which means that it will also fail getting valid certificate details with 7.29 - because it lacks the CERTINFO functionality... blah blah - lots of conversation/moaning/whinging etc at WHMCS - and still no closer to a resolultion there.

I am reluctant to use the City-Fan's repo - ohhhhhh so many horrid things said about it - but hey, I have it a try, it broke Yum, made a mess - so I removed it.

So this brings me to my question ....

Is it safe to upgrade Curl from the source (ie : curl.haxx.se) using the instructions in this link?

will it create a problem for Plesk? will it create a problem for CloudLinux? I mean, it's coming from 'source' rather than some repo.

thoughts? opinions?

Actually, Plesk doesn't ship curl, it only downloads it from original OS vendor repo and it is quite likely it may be outdated there (especially for older OS). But I must say that a lot of things in the work of Plesk are tied to curl. And this is a quite critical component. We focus on the version from the OS vendor. You can try replacing curl with a self-compiled one from the source. But we do not guarantee anything :)

Actually, Plesk doesn't ship curl, it only downloads it from original OS vendor repo and it is quite likely it may be outdated there (especially for older OS). But I must say that a lot of things in the work of Plesk are tied to curl. And this is a quite critical component. We focus on the version from the OS vendor. You can try replacing curl with a self-compiled one from the source. But we do not guarantee anything :)

Thanks Igor - that is kinda what I was concerned about .... I know that when I had upgraded my older Plesk server (which was running Onyx, but not CloudLinxux), I did upgrade from the City-Fan repo - and run for a while successfully... just not sure whether I am game to do it with CL as well, with Obsidian..... cause so much underlying stuff does rely on Curl working

upgrade from the City-Fan repo
Note, that using cURL packages from the City Fan repository may result in OS package manager malfunction, is not recommended by the OS vendor and should be applied on own risk.

Note, that using cURL packages from the City Fan repository may result in OS package manager malfunction, is not recommended by the OS vendor and should be applied on own risk.
Yup - that is why I don't want to do that again .... it was such a pain ... took a while to repair the package manager etc afterward.

Back