• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Default atMail configuration conflicts with SPF handler

J

JDKilmer

Plesk/Linux v9.5.2

We're setting up a new server this weekend, and with a fresh install of Plesk, discovered that there's a configuration discrepancy between the atMail webmail service and the SPF checking mechanism in Plesk. (This is actually a much broader problem with how Plesk resolves SPF failures, as I'll detail below, but atMail is the only "out of the box" feature that seems to be affected.)

Specifically, users cannot send mail from atMail while SPF checking with any rejection level is enabled. Even if SPF is set to the most-permissive reject behavior: Reject mail when SPF resolves to "fail". Users always receive a "554 mail server permanently rejected message" response when trying to send through the webmail interface. The postfix mail log shows the following sequence:

postfix/smtpd[19023]: connect from unknown[127.0.0.1]
postfix/smtpd[18866]: NOQUEUE: client=unknown[127.0.0.1]
postfix/smtpd[19023]: CF9221808736: client=unknown[127.0.0.1]
before-queue[19042]: check handlers for addr: <my sender>
before-queue[19042]: check handlers for addr: <my recipient>
before-queue[19042]: Processing handlers...
before-queue[19042]: hook_dir = '/usr/local/psa/handlers/before-queue'
before-queue[19042]: call_handlers: call executable = '/usr/local/psa/handlers/info/10-spf-s0TBZT/executable'
spf filter[19044]: Starting spf filter...
before-queue[19042]: handlers_stderr: REJECT
before-queue[19042]: call_handlers: REJECT during call '/usr/local/psa/handlers/info/10-spf-s0TBZT/executable' handler
before-queue[19042]: call_handlers: stop call handlers from dir '/usr/local/psa/handlers/before-queue/global'
postfix/smtpd[19023]: disconnect from unknown[127.0.0.1]

The SPF records themselves ARE set up correctly for the domains. After wrestling with this for a few hours, I believe I've found the cause, and a workaround. This is testable/provable by using telnet to manually process a SMTP transaction.

atMail is configured in /var/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/Net/SMTP.php to set $localhost = 'localhost', which is the value that it uses when doing a EHLO with the SMTP server. However, with SPF enabled, any host that EHLO's as localhost is _REJECTED_ by the Plesk SPF processor regardless of the sender address. If you EHLO with the actual local host name (eg 'my.host.com'), the SPF check passes. Changing that $localhost value in the SMTP.php file to the machine's real hostname causes mail to begin sending properly from atMail.

I haven't been able to find any documentation on how the SPF handler (/usr/local/psa/handlers/hooks/spf) actually resolves SPF records, so I don't know _why_ this is failing. But this is testable, in that if you issue a SMTP transaction by telnetting to localhost port 25, and EHLO as 'localhost', any mail send operation for a plesk-hosted domain sender will fail during the SPF check. (examples at bottom of this post) It's almost certainly not a SPF rules-related issue, as adding "ip4:127.0.0.1" to the SPF local rules or the sending-domain's SPF record does not have any effect on the behavior.

The workaround mentioned will make things work temporarily, but I expect that this will start failing again the next time that atMail is updated. This will also fail for any other local mail-sending daemons that EHLO as 'localhost'. So a fix from Plesk would be helpful!

If anyone else has encountered this, and has suggestions for fixing it on the SPF-side instead of the atMail-side, I'd appreciate it!

SMTP fails with 'EHLO localhost':
> telnet localhost 25
220 <my hostname> ESMTP Postfix
EHLO localhost
250-<my hostname>
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 25600000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-XFORWARD NAME ADDR PROTO HELO SOURCE
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
MAIL FROM:<sender addr>
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO:<recipient addr>
250 2.1.5 Ok
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
test
554 mail server permanently rejected message

(in maillog: call_handlers: REJECT during call '/usr/local/psa/handlers/info/10-spf-s0TBZT/executable' handler)

Same SMTP transaction _succeeds_ with 'EHLO my.hostname.com'
> telnet localhost 25
220 <my hostname> ESMTP Postfix
EHLO <my.hostname.com>
250-<my hostname>
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 25600000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-XFORWARD NAME ADDR PROTO HELO SOURCE
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
MAIL FROM:<sender addr>
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO:<recipient addr>
250 2.1.5 Ok
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
test
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4447F1808736

(in maillog: call_handlers: PASS during call '/usr/local/psa/handlers/info/10-spf-s0TBZT/executable' handler)

Back