• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved deleting files from Home Directory

shanDB

New Pleskian
I have a website hosted on a Plesk environment. The website was hacked today.

What I have done is delete all files that were in the HTTPDOCS directory, with the intention of re-installing the website from a backup that I have taken recently.

I'm noticing that even though I have deleted the entire content of the HTTPDOCS directory, there are still a number of suspect files that are appearing in the root Home Directory. Any attempt to delete these files doesn't seem to work, as the files reappear instantly.

Is there a way to "nuke" the Home Directory (deleting all contents). Obviously there are some crucial directories that need to be maintained, such as error_docs / httpdocs / logs / web_users. What happens if I delete these directories (and contents) and create new directories in their place?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Screenshot of the Home Directory contents can be viewed here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

VagVVWd.jpg

The most simple way to nuke all is to toggle the "hosting settings" from "webspace" to "redirect" and back. This will definitely clear everything.
Terrific. Thanks for the reply.
The web host came to the rescue and re-installed from a backup at their end, but I'll certainly take note of your advice for future problem solving.

If i change as you described "hosting settings" and clear everything, will this delete my emails?
Will it affect anything else?

Back