• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question difference between mariadb and mysql causing issues. How to use mysql?

mudassarkhan

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have had a website created and I am deploying it on my plesk server.

Everything is working fine except a data connection. I have been told that the database has to be mysql and on plesk it is using mariaDB which is not compatible with how my website is set up.

I don't see an option to specifically choose mysql. When I go to add database server it gives me the option "MySQL / MariaDB / Percona"

No option to specify Mysql?

1713882189409.png
He says they are deployed on another server he created a website for. However the owner isn't really approachable to find out how they did it.

MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. But you can't install both on the same server to use with Plesk. More information can be found here: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-to-replace-MySQL-with-MariaDB-and-vice-versa
My website is tested local on his set up on mysql and it works fine, he says that the issue is simply that his website needs mysql.
The error is:

He is able to duplicate it simply by changing the database to mariaDB on his local server.

Looks like you already have MySQL running (alongside MariDB) on a different port. I suppose you have to change either the database port in the database configuration of your website. Or have to include the port in the hostname of the database configuration (localhost:1015 instead of just localhost)

Thank you so much for your help. I took a shortcut and guided the dev to check on that server if it had plesk docker extension. It did. So the guide you linked solved the issue. Mysql is running in a plesk docker container. Which is how they can both run at the same time!

Back