• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved difference between plesk 11.5 only apache VS 12.5 apache + nginx

larryk

Regular Pleskian
I'm moving from old plesk 11.5 to 12.5.
I've never used nginx before.

ANY tips or things I should be aware of in making the move?

example: I learned that nginx doesn't read .htaccess files :)

stuff like that!!!
:)

thanks!

i realize the question is a little odd or VERY open--- but I don't know what I don't know...
so I'm trying to speed up my learning curve

thanks IgorG... that was a GREAT link :)

a generic thought -- that page would be REALLY awesome if it also diagramed or referenced all the settings
on the "apache & nginx settings" page in plesk.

As I don't know what all those setting actually mean or do for me? for the server?

anyway, specific questions:
1) FPM application served (by apache or by nginx) = what does that actually mean? or do for the server?
2) is their a complete list of what nginx will handle: jpg, css, html, images, video, xml. what else?

is it safe to say: PHP, java, java script will go to apache. ALL other files go to nginx.

3) I'm assuming that Plesk created the "apache & nginx settings" page so all custom settings for a domain
can be in one place to manage how apache and nginx function... plesk knows to look here 1st?

thanks

1) FPM application served (by apache or by nginx) = what does that actually mean? or do for the server?
The PHP-FPM is an advanced version of FastCGI which offers significant benefits for highly loaded web applications. To learn more about PHP-FPM, see http://php-fpm.org/about/
2) is their a complete list of what nginx will handle: jpg, css, html, images, video, xml. what else?
It depends on selected webserver mode. Following pictures will describe wach mode in detail:

Снимок экрана 2016-11-02 в 10.33.04.png

Снимок экрана 2016-11-02 в 10.33.17.png

Снимок экрана 2016-11-02 в 10.33.40.png

Снимок экрана 2016-11-02 в 10.34.35.png

WOW... those pictures are golden!!!!!
got any more like that?
THANKS!!!

On the PHP-FPM - that link was nice, but much of it was over my head? :(
maybe is there explanations in layman terms on that stuff?

question:
1) how does "PHP-FPM" compare to the option in plesk for "FPM application served by apache" or the other one "FPM application served by nginx"?
2) you see my point PHP-FPM is only 1, when the plesk page with PHP options, I have 2?
3) because I have two options, what is done or not done on my server when you select one over the other?

4) silly question? Just to confirm --- You can set up a plesk 12.5 server to run apache and nginx at same time for a single domain. And in the "apache & nginx settings" page, you configure that domain to use apache and/or nginx as you tell it too? Is that correct? OR is there parts in this Question 4 that are incorrect?

thanks!!!
very much appreciate your info and feedback :)

hi...
just curious if others:
a) have nothing else to add?
b) don't have the knowledge/details to add more details?

or maybe my questions are not good, valid?

thanks

Hi Larryk,

As you can see, there is not much info on these topics.
What we have done is opt for PHP7 (or the highest PHP each site can run on) and our first option is always PHP-FPM on Nginx.
Have found some wordpress sites - up to date all of them - run perfectly well on that but some others don't, for which we use PHP-FPM on Apache.
Also Joomla 3.5.x runs ok only on Apache.

After searching the web, for those sites which cannot run solely on Nginx, we set the Apache - nginx config as follows:

Check smart processing of static files by Nginx
Check serve static files directly by Nginx and set the following files types: ac3 avi bmp bz2 cue dat doc docx dts exe flv gz htm html img iso mkv mp3 mp4 mpeg mpg ogg pdf ppt pptx qt rar rm swf tar tgz txt wav xls xlsx zip

Under additional directives for Nginx, we set:

gzip_proxied any;

location ~* \.(js|css|png|jpg|jpeg|gif|ico)$ {
expires 30d;
add_header Pragma public;
add_header Cache-Control “public”;
try_files $uri @fallback;
}

Hope this helps You too.

Best regards,

thanks Jorge for the input :)

yeah... trying to "understand" stuff, before I just turn it on...

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I'm a Plesk newbie trying to wrap my brain around this as well. On my old server I was running just Apache (with DirectAdmin), this Plesk server is set up with NGinx as a reverse proxy with smart static files processing - I think that's picture number 3?

Anyhow, I had one site on the old server set up to process .htm and .html files as php by using the following line in .htaccess:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .html .htm

This doesn't seem to work with this setup, and changing "AddType" to "AddHandler" didn't work either. I'm guessing .htaccess doesn't work exactly the same way with this setup since .htm and .html files are being directed to Nginx instead of Apache?

Is there any way to either force nginx to parse them as php, or to set up some sort of directive somewhere else to send .htm and .html files to apache instead of nginx? Or any other way to accomplish the end goal of having them parsed as php?

Also trying to figure out if the reverse proxy settings are server-wide or if they can be configured separately for each domain.

OK... solved my own problem and it had nothing to do with NGinx reverse proxy, but rather the newer version of PHP. The correct line for .htaccess is:

AddHandler php-script .html .htm

Back