• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the current Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question Different Servers for Mail and Web

Meczup zade

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I'd like to close all my ports where my web server is alive (exc. 80 and 443).
So that I'd have to change my mail server's host.
But I don't know whether it's possible to do.

Example:
mydomain.com (on IP XX.XX.XX.XX) (opened ports 80, 443)
mail.mydomain.com (on IP YY.YY.YY.YY) (opened ports 587, 993 etc.)

It is possible, but if you wish to have Plesk on both servers, you'll need two separate Plesk licenses and you'll need to administer them separately.

Note, Plesk Multi Server did exist in the past, but it was phased out with the Obsidian release. A centralized mail server was not supported anyway.

It is possible, but if you wish to have Plesk on both servers, you'll need two separate Plesk licenses and you'll need to administer them separately.

Note, Plesk Multi Server did exist in the past, but it was phased out with the Obsidian release. A centralized mail server was not supported anyway.

I didn't actually understand how to configure Plesk to manage my @mydomain.com on mymailhosting.com with Plesk since Plesk is only able to create mail server and mails for existing domains such as [email protected].

You'll need to create the same domain on both Plesk servers.

Mail service must be disabled on the one that doesn't use it, hosting can be disabled on the other. The DNS must be set up correctly so that the requests for services end up on the correct server.

There are more details, of course, but this should point you in the right direction.

IMHO, unless you have a specific reason, this kind of a setup might prove to be more trouble than it's worth. Plesk is not designed for this.

Back