• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Disabling email service on domain affects subdomain's email service. Why?

coduyon

New Pleskian
I setup a domina called "domain.com". This domain has a email service enabled and it is working OK. For some reasons I'd like to change the email from "[email protected]" to "[email protected]". Therfore, I created a new subdomain "smtp.domain.com" and then createad a joe account that is used to send alerts a web service we have. All looks good, emails are send from from [email protected]

However, now I'd like to disable email service on "domain.com" as it's not longer needed. If I do it, I can't send emails using [email protected]. The error recived is: Response: error : transaction failed. the server response was: 5.7.1 : relay access denied

I don't understand why disabling email service on "domain.com" affects "smtp.domain.com" email service.

It depends on how you have setup your domains in Plesk. From your explanation it seems like domain.com is setup as the primary domain in your subscription and smtp.domain.com is setup as an additional domain in that same subscription. Now, because they are in the same subscription both domains share the same configuration. So if you disable the email service it gets disabled for all domains in that subscription.

Depending on which Plesk Edition you use and whether you are using Plesk in Power User view you may never heard off or came across 'subscriptions'. Which may sound confusing. The screenshot below give an example of the domain hierarchy. Basically the domain smtp.domain.com is a child of domain.com.

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-14 om 14.57.07.png
I am not sure if your setup is the same. But it sounds like it. The solution would be to setup smtp.domain.com as its own primary domain.

Hope that make sense.

It depends on how you have setup your domains in Plesk. From your explanation it seems like domain.com is setup as the primary domain in your subscription and smtp.domain.com is setup as an additional domain in that same subscription. Now, because they are in the same subscription both domains share the same configuration. So if you disable the email service it gets disabled for all domains in that subscription.

Depending on which Plesk Edition you use and whether you are using Plesk in Power User view you may never heard off or came across 'subscriptions'. Which may sound confusing. The screenshot below give an example of the domain hierarchy. Basically the domain smtp.domain.com is a child of domain.com.

View attachment 19712
I am not sure if your setup is the same. But it sounds like it. The solution would be to setup smtp.domain.com as its own primary domain.

Hope that make sense.
Thanks Rasp for your reply. Unfortunately domain.com and smtp.domain.com are in diffrent subscriptions. There's some more that I'm missing.

1636907267861.png

I am unable to replicate your issue on my server. Not sure what is causing this behaviour. Are you Outlook to send email from by any chance? In that case it be related to this issue: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...554-5-7-1-Client-host-rejected-Access-denied-
Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure I must have configured something wrong but no clue what it could be. This is the 1st time I did it but documentation was easy to follow: simply create a new subscription for a subdomain and that's it. I don't use Outlook. The email address [email protected] is used by a 3rd party web service.

Back