• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Disabling Facebook integration (backend)

Jan

New Pleskian
Hello,

I noticed, that facebook like button is included in Plesk Onyx's backend,

Due to privacy laws I must disable this functionality: It's almost illegal to transfer user data to facebook without explicit consent.

How can I do so?

Thanks, Jan

Code:
</div> <!-- /b-content-wrap -->
</div> <!-- /b-content -->
</div> <!-- /page-content -->
</div> <!-- /page-content-wrapper -->
</div> <!-- /page-main -->
</div> <!-- /page-main-wrapper -->
<div class="page-footer-wrapper">
<div class="page-footer">
<a href="Plesk WebOps platform for applications, websites and hosting" target="_blank">plesk.com</a>
<div class="social-actions">
<div class="fb-link">
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/Plesk" target="_blank" >
Join Us on Facebook </a>
</div>
<div class="fb-like" id="fb-like-e0b66f1661b16ce8e0decd6fb1287422">
</div>
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
Jsw.onReady(Jsw.priority.low, function() {
$('fb-like-e0b66f1661b16ce8e0decd6fb1287422').insert({
top: new Element('iframe', {
src: '//www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?locale=en_US&send=false&layout=button_count&colorscheme=dark&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlesk',
scrolling: 'no',
frameborder: '0',
allowtransparency: 'true',
width: 83,
height: 20,
'class': 'fb-like-widget'
})
});
});
//]]>
</script> <div class="feedback-actions">
<a href="#" id="provide-rating-button" class="s-btn" onclick="Smb.Views.RatingDialog.showVote('manual'); return false;">
<i class="icon-opinions"></i> Share an Opinion</a>

Modify/Create the following file; /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini

Code:
[facebook]
showLikeLink = false

If I may add my 2 cents, I must also say that I'm finding the new 17.8.10 version absolutely invasive in terms of advertising and tentative up-selling.

The pop-up on the "Extensions" menu entry is obnoxious.

Personally I "hacked" things up at my browser level with some dirty CSS tricks and by adding a button that brings me directly to the extensions I want, the ones I have already installed.

To be frank, I find this aggressive marketing unbearable: we are paying customers and we deserve a clean UI free of whatever might even slightly resemble advertising, marketing, social engagement, and the likes: I can accept that on a free product, but not on a product for which I'm paying, monthly.

I strongly hope all of the above will go away with the final 17.8 version or as the bare minimum that we have a toggle to turn all the **** off.

... but hey, yes, the Facebook script is even worst, and it must go! I think it is breaking several EU directives...

on 17.8.10 we have this too:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
Jsw.onReady(Jsw.priority.low, function() {
    window.twttr = (function(d, s, id) {
        var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
            t = window.twttr || {};
        if (d.getElementById(id)) return t;
        js = d.createElement(s);
        js.id = id;
        js.src = "https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";
        fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
        t._e = [];
        t.ready = function(f) {
            t._e.push(f);
        };
        return t;
    }(document, "script", "twitter-wjs"));
});
//]]>
</script>

Same file; /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini

Code:
[twitter]
showFollowLink = false

... and... anything more? :mad: ;):)

all of this should be easily configurable with a very prominent switch in the UI, not hidden in some configuration file.

Actually, all this (well... it gets substituted with 4 asterisks, but you know what I mean...) should be opt-in, by law.

Well basically, here's what I did....

Hide Register Domain Names button and Manage Domain Names;
# /usr/local/psa/bin/panel_gui -p -domain_registration true

Disable Advisor Extension

Create /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini;

[facebook]
showLikeLink = false
[twitter]
showFollowLink = false
[promos]
enabled = off
[aps]
serverAppsPromoEnabled = off

@Mark Muyskens with your (really welcome) settings I'm anyway seeing the obnoxious pop-up on "Extensions" and "Extensions" itself still brings to the colorful "Extensions catalog", i.e.: advertising

Hello,

thanks for your feedback and help. I'll try your propasals in the next days.

I totally agree with Mark: Having a clear an concise UI-based configuration for disabling any kind of privacy invasive features (data collection, transmission to 3rd party providers (inc. parallels)) Opt-In (sic!) is a must have. Default must be: No gathering of any data.

From a UX point of view, there's definitly a need for default configuration respecting the upcoming EU privacy laws. Having new fines for privacy violations in the EU, users bringing privacy issue to a court is a high risk.

Also, it's also important, that any kind of data collection is well documented, since users have the legal right to demand this kind of information.

@IgorG, could you comment on this, please?

Thanks in advance,
Greetz, Jan

Last edited:
Back