• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Disk Space

Y

YesM

Hello,

I have a shared virtual server with 30GB space. However, it is already full with system files, is that normal with a web host provider?

For example C:
Windows 11GB
Parallels 27 GB
Other System 205 MB
InetPub 1.7 GB

Total 40GB. How much of that should be in my space quota? I presumed I was buying 30GB of web storage space, so the other system files would not be counted.

It seems Windows is 'free', but Parallels is taken from my quota.

Right, you have bought 30GB of web storage space from your provider and you shouldn't worry about other system files. I do not understand what is the problem here?

the problem is that although I have only used 1.7 GB of webspace, Plesk says I am using 29GB.

I have since found that is because daily backups are stored under the Parallels directory, but included in my disk quota. Is that correct?

your hosting provider allocated 30GB to your VPS. This 30 GB will include everything present on your VPS mean OS files, all other softwares including Plesk. Plesk folder contain several other subfolders for services like databases, email service, Private Temp etc. all these folders contain corresponding file. As you can see if there are several large databases, large number emails etc. present under Plesk folder then it will definitely consume a large space.
Regarding OS files, you can check if there are any log files, temp session files present in temp folder, asp.net temporary files, log files of IIS, logs in PCHealth folder etc. which you can safely remove but before you delete it, make sure you are not removing any important files.

Regards,
StormInternet
Professional UK Web Hosting

Hi,

Additionally you run a nice utility TreeSize.exe which will help you to trace exactly which files/folders are consuming most of the space.
TreeSize.exe shows you disk usage of all files/folder of your server in a graphical tree format.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back