• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS behind a router?

J

jonni66

I am running Plesk on a windows 2003 box. I am behind a router and have successfully setup sites by opening ports, as long as I use outside dns. (Free DNS)

I would really like to use my own DNS.

Firstly: is this possible behind a router?

Secondly: If it is possible could someone please point me to an easy to understand instruction manual?

I am new to running a server and am by no means an expert, but I do have a basic understanding.

Plesk was really alot easier to setup than I could have imagined... Hopefully the DNS will not be as complicated as it seems right now!!!>>>

Yes setting up plesk behind a firewall is tricky as it is not fully supported, after opening the ports and doing port forwarding you will have to change the IP address in DNS templates for the domain in Plesk from private IP to public. so if your internal IP is 192.168.x.x login to plesk and change it to the IP on the outside interface of your router.
There are a lot of threads explaining how to setup nameservers, do a search and you should see one that can help you understand

Just wanted to update:

I have successfully setup plesk behind a router... I am running off of a "residential account" road runner cable modem and a simple cisco router. It was all just a matter of port farwarding through the router to my server. Everything works including DNS!

Plesk has been the easiest and most reliable panel I've come across!

Back