• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS problems

M

MikkyX

Hi,
After resolving my little qmail problem I've run headlong into another brick wall.

My DNS server shows in Plesk as running - and if I start it myself via /etc/init.d/named start (or restart) , it comes up and says OK - so it's evidently up and running.

However if I try to ping, traceroute, dig - anything - nothing happens. IP numbers for ping work fine.

As a result my box is unable to communicate with any other server on the Internet - stuff coming IN to the box is fine - websites and incoming mail are good. My problem is nothing can LEAVE the box.

Anyone got any suggestions before I tear what little hair I have left from my head?

Anyone got any suggestions? My mail queue is growing and it's getting quite bad :(

This isn't a problem with your DNS Server, it's a problem with your /etc/resolve.conf.

Test your DNS Server like this: dig @localhost google.com

Test your /etc/resolve.conf nameservers through dig google.com.

To correct this problem, replace the nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx; as outlined in /etc/resolve.conf with your own (localhost, for example), which will cause all DNS Queries to hit your DNS server instead of the world.

That seems to have done the trick - thanks. :)

My resolv.conf now includes nameserver 127.0.0.1 which means all DNS goes through my local box.

Why would resolv.conf get overwritten like that though - and to addresses which couldn't be traced via their IP?

Back