• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue DNS requests are denied (allow-query-cache did not match) after upgrading from Debian 10 to 12

Hangover2

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12.5
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.59 # 2
Hello,

after upgrading one of our older servers from Debian 10 to 12 the BIND domain name server does not answer to requests anymore.
For domains where the server is the primary name server requests end up like this:

Dig:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;my-hosted-domain.com. IN A

Log:
named[38936]: client @[...]#50309 (my-hosted-domain.com): query (cache) 'my-hosted-domain.com/A/IN' denied (allow-query-cache did not match)

AppArmor looks good so far same as the bind configuration. But maybe we did miss sth.
Thanks in advance for any idea what's going on.

After digging deeper into our problem we did find the reason. "/etc/default/named" did not have the correct content (still default Debian 12).

After updating the file to the Plesk specific default settings the DNS is working like a charm again:
OPTIONS=" -t /var/named/run-root -c /etc/named.conf -u bind -n 2"

Maybe the Plesk team could add this info to a support article or even check this file as part of the Plesk repair utility (DNS check did not show up any problems either).

Back