• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question DNS

fs100YES

New Pleskian
Hi Guys, I have a question about DNS, I watched a Plesk video where it was mentioned that the Plesk server acts as a Master DNS for all the domains on it - would this mean I need to use some service like Cloudfare as my Authoritative Name server at the registrar? This is assuming now I am not setting up a Bind server myself for DNS purposes.

Thanks
Kit

The DNS server is enabled by default on Plesk and it allows you to use the server as the Primary Name Server. You'll still need setup at least one slave DNS server for use as your secondary name server. Which can be a bit of an hassle.

If you don't want to run a DNS server yourself you can use an external DNS provider to manage your DNS zones. There are some great Plesk Extensions (Microsoft Azure DNS, Amazon Route 53, DigitalOcean DNS) that will sync the DNS zones between Plesk and the DNS provider. This allows you to still manage your DNS settings and records trough Plesk while having to worry about running a DNS server.

I don't believe there is an Extensions to sync your DNS from Plesk to CloudFlare. But you could use CloudFlare as your DNS provider if your okay with managing your DNS records manually.

Does this answer your question?

Last edited:
The DNS server is enabled by default on Plesk and it allows you to use the server a the Primary Name Server. You'll still need setup at least one slave DNS server for use as your secondary name server. Which can be a bit of an hassle.

If you don't want to run a DNS server yourself you can use an external DNS provider to manage your DNS zones. There are some great Plesk Extensions (Microsoft Azure DNS, Amazon Route 53, DigitalOcean DNS) that will sync the DNS zones between Plesk and the DNS provider. This allows you to still manage your DNS settings and records trough Plesk while having to worry about running a DNS server.

I don't believe there is an Extensions to sync your DNS from Plesk to CloudFlare. But you could CloudFlare as your DNS provider if your okay with managing your DNS records manually.

Does this answer your question?
Thanks for replying, so are you saying at the registrar, I have to create my glue record else it will be circular ?

Last edited:
Back