• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Docker or Podman on CentOS 8?

Loonx

New Pleskian
Hello,
so I was searching for a way to use Docker or podman on Centos 8 via the panel, I found this solution from @kirk macdonald which does work fine for me (Thank you very much!!). But is there actually someone trying to build an extension for Podman or an extension which provides Docker support on centos 8?
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A WORKAROUND AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR RISK ( Also note this is for Plesk obsidian centos 8 )

I MYSELF AND OTHERS RECOMMEND THIS DOES NOT GO INTO A PRODUCTION SERVER AND IS FOR ONLY TESTING AND DEVELOPING MACHINES

in the terminal, if you have already installed the Plesk docker extension the remove it

plesk bin extension --uninstall docker

now let's install the repo

dnf config-manager --add-repo=https://download.docker.com/linux/centos/docker-ce.repo

now let's install docker

dnf install docker-ce --nobest -y

now let's start it and enable it

systemctl start docker
systemctl enable docker

ok now lets install the plesk docker extension

plesk bin extension --install docker

now lets add root the to the docker group

usermod -aG docker root

now let's retart docker

systemctl restart docker

now lets chmod the sock

chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

(edit here extra steps it would seem you have to do the following after the above or it will stop working eventually)

rm /etc/yum.repos.d/docker-ce.repo

dnf clean all

dnf update

now log into the Plesk control panel open the docker and all is good its working

but you need to complete one last thing otherwise every time you reboot you will need to run chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

go to tools and settings/ scheduled tasks and add the following

task type = run a command

command = chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

run = cron style = @Reboot

now reboot the machine if when it boots up you login to the panel and you access docker and you receive no permission denied then you have successfully followed these instructions and you now have docker on Plesk centos8

every time you add another user to the docker group make sure you do the repeat all the steps from add user to docker group down particular chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock or you will receive a permission denied when you tried to access the docker page in the control panel

I hope this helps if you have any question i will try to answer them and give support

Kirk Macdonald

Last edited:
Back