• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Docker + Varnish - Reboot Mystery

pr0tax

New Pleskian
Hello,

I followed the Plesk/Varnish tutorial on here with Docker and it works a charm. I continued to apply some other updates to the server afterwards, then I did a reboot and everything went horribly wrong. Luckily I had a snapshot available, but I didn't need it in the end.

The conclusion is (TLDR), when I reboot the server, it just throws up a whole load of 503 backend errors.

The fix was for me to run the last couple of steps everytime I reboot the server:

docker ps | grep varnish | awk {'print $1'} | xargs -i docker exec -t {} sed -i '/.port/c\ .port = "7080";' /etc/varnish/default.vcl

and

docker ps | grep varnish | awk {'print $1'} | xargs -i docker exec -t {} sed -i '/.host/c\ .host = "203.0.113.2";' /etc/varnish/default.vcl

With my server IP in the second command. After this, I reboot the container and all works again perfectly.

It seems as though something is missing when rebooting the server, as I have to repeat this process everytime... am I best just installing and configuring Varnish on the actual server or is there something I'm missing?

N.B - I have tried it with both "Automatic start after system reboot" on and off...

Back