• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Does The Server Name Matter?

G

GreenLED@

I'm currently moving into a new server and would like to know how "important" the "server name" really is. For example. I'd like to name my server based on location. For example, if my server were located in Chicago, IL, I would name it chicago.il.company.com Does this make a difference in the grand scheme of things OR is it "better" to just stick with the primary domain name I will be using. Please give me some insight into this.

It makes no difference really as long as you have an A record for that domain in its DNS.

What is really useful is for /var/qmail/control/me to be the rDNS name (and for these to match the above but that's not crucial)

Faris.

So for example, if I had a server named "vps.company.com" I would have to have to go into "company.com > DNS Settings" and add just ONE A record that points to "vps.company.com" -- right? I don't need any other records then it sounds like -- just the one. So, it's basically a "subdomain" that needs to be registered under that domain. So, then if you named your server a domain that you did not really own -- then it would not technically work? Just trying to understand how this is all coming together. Just to be sure you understand what I'm saying ---

If I had "vps.company.com"

I would have to go into company.com's dns settings and add vps.company.com (A) record, and you're saying that this is the only record that needs to entered. Can I ask, does this make a difference (duh, yes)?

I'm currently moving into a new server and would like to know how "important" the "server name" really is. For example. I'd like to name my server based on location. For example, if my server were located in Chicago, IL, I would name it chicago.il.company.com Does this make a difference in the grand scheme of things OR is it "better" to just stick with the primary domain name I will be using. Please give me some insight into this.

Seems as though someone has been stuck in the world of windows too long.

In the grand scheme of things; if you only have one server you could call it "pepsi.server.com" for all it mattered. But
if you added more servers you would have to keep with the soda theme. I.E. sprite.server.com, orange.server.com. It is much easier to do the following

shared1.server.com vps1.server.com dedicated1.server.com colo1.server.com
shared2.server.com vps2.server.com dedicated2.server.com colo2.server.com
shared3.server.com vps3.server.com dedicated3.server.com colo3.server.com

Now you would think that is easily hackable but it is not. Some people use Soda varieties, gods of war, all of the known oceans, and the planets.

you have to pick which is easiest for you and your network admins to remember.

-chris
64bithost.com

Seems as though someone has been stuck in the world of windows too long.

In the grand scheme of things; if you only have one server you could call it "pepsi.server.com" for all it mattered. But
if you added more servers you would have to keep with the soda theme. I.E. sprite.server.com, orange.server.com. It is much easier to do the following

shared1.server.com vps1.server.com dedicated1.server.com colo1.server.com
shared2.server.com vps2.server.com dedicated2.server.com colo2.server.com
shared3.server.com vps3.server.com dedicated3.server.com colo3.server.com

Now you would think that is easily hackable but it is not. Some people use Soda varieties, gods of war, all of the known oceans, and the planets.

you have to pick which is easiest for you and your network admins to remember.

-chris
64bithost.com

You're right -- I have been stuck in Windows for to long. I had my day with linux and I enjoyed it. I am geting back into it, although I'm upset that it's been re-wrapped in may flavors with some overhead added that is not very pleasing. It's seems things are to good to be true with Linux too. There are still versions that don't pad, but they are becoming more rare. Anyhow -- thanks for the reply. I took care of my (A) record and all should be well now.

Back