• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

domain crontabs

F

faris

Can anybody tell me which user domain cron jobs run as? Logically it is as that particular user (e.g. if FTP username for domain.com is XXX, then the cron job would run as XXX, as this is the user that is listed on the page by default)

But how can that be, if such users don't have shell access?

And to confuse things even more, Help for the ctontab section says:

"Note: Plesk administrator can create the scheduled tasks that will be run on the server on behalf of user root. If you wish to restrict usage of the root account, create an empty file with name root.crontab.lock in the location /usr/local/psa/var/."

Does this mean the cron jobs are actually run as root, no matter what username is shown in the crontab drop-down? Surely not?

And if you create this file, then what? Exactly what does it stop?

Any info would be appreciated.

Faris.

Hi Faris,

When a FTP user is created for a domain, that means that ftp user is one of the server's user. Depends on the permission, that user might not have a shell access to the server, however, the user will be able to perform certain limited actions in the allowed area ( the vhost's directories).

I am not quite sure about running crontab as root, but as far as I know just choose the user in the list then you should be alright.

Thanks Sufia!

Ah. Yes. Of course, because they do own the files in the vhost directory after all. I shall experiment. Thanks!

Faris.

Back