• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Domain + Subdomain = Problems with Hosting Type?

futureweb

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
following configuration given:

Abo with "domain.com" - Hosting Type - Webspace (with E-Mail Services)
Subdomain "sub.domain.com" - Hosting Type - Forward

Customer asked us to activate Forward for "domain.com "to other Domain for 2 weeks - but as soon as a Subdomain points on a Domain - I can NOT change the Hosting Type anymore ... WHY???

If I want to change Hosting Type from Hosting to Forward for some weeks - it always deletes the whole Webspace for the Domain ... ?!?

1) Why can't I change Hosting Type when a Sub-Domain is created?
2) Why can't I tell Plesk to change Hosting Type WITHOUT deleting the whole Webspace ...

Thank you
Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

Last edited:
Hi, that's true, domain.com (webspace) has a dedicated role (it runs all the other domains and subdomains inside), so it is not possible currently to make it a redirect.
We would like to change it in future, but currently it is a technology limitation.

I can suggest 2 ways of working this limitation around:
1) put an .htaccess file into domain.com and make redirect there:
Here is an article of our partner company (Mediatemple) explaining this
http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/242/How do I redirect my site using a .htaccess file?
2) alternatively you can rename domain.com into some arbitrary name and re-create new domain.com as additional domain on the same docroot. You will need to re-create mailboxes in new domain.com and move mail into each new mailbox. Then domain.com can be configured as redirect without damaging webspace.

Hope it helps

Back