• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

dropbox extension problem

helpchrisplz

Basic Pleskian
Hi. I installed the dropbox extension / app on my plesk server and connected it to my dropbox account so that it can backup all of my websites. about 170

My problem is that my server was so slow when the backup was taking place that all the websites i host showed a 504 network error,

so i logged into ssh though putty and killed the process that was copying the backup files to the .tar file. I used kill -1 <process id>

The problem was that the servers hard drive IO was overwhelmed by the tar process. i checked top and found that the tar process had Its priority set to 30 by default and i think this is already a very low priority.

after killing the process the websites hosted on the server are loading but plesk still shows the dropbox backup (in the current tasks tab) as running.

Is this ok to be left as showing running when i was forced to kill the process that controls it?

The main problem I have with the extension is that my servers backup is 130GB and the first time that I ever run the dropbox backup (fist time was less problematic because it was at a low load time of the day) it took 35 hours to complete but the plesk extension can only be set to run daily at 24 hour intervals.

What I noticed was that if the backup was set to run at 12am and took 35 hours the daily backup schedule would not start again at 12am the next day because a backup is still running from the previous day. This is good beacuse i dont want backups overlapping... but the dropbox scheduler would start the next backup as soon as the last finished... and not wait until the next 12am slot.

This means for me the backup started at 10am. In a peak load time of the day. it would be best to make the next backup wait until 12am the next day to stop the backup running when the server is under more load.

This is what resulted in me having to kill the tar process causing plesk to still show the task as running when it is not.

Back