• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Issue Emails from webmail always go to spam with DKIM, dmarc, and spf records

rhys19

New Pleskian
I have setup the dns records from the dns management page even set plesk as my primary dns to try it but it still sends to spam

If I goto mail-tester.com and test it, I get the result: 8.4/10

It says i'm not fully authenticated

it shows DKIM is valid but it can't check dmarc

Your domains are not aligned. We can't check DMARC.​

my domain is also fairly new maybe like 3-5 days now

now it shows my dmarc is valid after using plesk as primary dns but my emails still goto spam and I've checked with mxtoolbox but everything shows valid it's not even on a blacklist

going to check mail-tester again

1.) helo=vps-ad6060c6.vps.ovh.ca but there seems to be no SPF record for that host, only for the domain
2.) just wait a few days until the domain is older than 2 weeks
3.) big providers have their own antispam systems. Your messages will be junked automatically if the receivers tend to mark it as spam. Rating will eventually improve if receivers move the messages out of the spam folder.

@rhys19 If only mails sent from Webmail go to spam, the reason could be a missing configuration entry in the postfix configuration:

Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and add this line
myhostdomain = <your public hostname>

If this is missing, Postfix is mailing as "localhost" public name when you use webmail. This causes a mismatch between the original source of the mail and the SPF check at the receiving provider. And this again will put many mails from Webmail into the recipient's spam folder.

1.) helo=vps-ad6060c6.vps.ovh.ca but there seems to be no SPF record for that host, only for the domain
2.) just wait a few days until the domain is older than 2 weeks
3.) big providers have their own antispam systems. Your messages will be junked automatically if the receivers tend to mark it as spam. Rating will eventually improve if receivers move the messages out of the spam folder.
Ah ok how would I add my spf record for helo?
and ok I can wait, My receivers are moving the registration emails out of spam otherwise they can't click on the link for obvious reasons ;)
@rhys19 If only mails sent from Webmail go to spam, the reason could be a missing configuration entry in the postfix configuration:

Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and add this line
myhostdomain = <your public hostname>

If this is missing, Postfix is mailing as "localhost" public name when you use webmail. This causes a mismatch between the original source of the mail and the SPF check at the receiving provider. And this again will put many mails from Webmail into the recipient's spam folder.
as for the myhostdomain this is what i put:
Code:
myhostdomain = vps-ad6060c6.vps.ovh.ca

so I ran another email test and still says the domain is new within 7-14 days obviously it's probably because of the time but either way it still shows
Code:
SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record

Test results: Spam Test Result

SPF is optional. If you have one, it needs to be correct. If you do not have one, add it. For example, add a record like

Name: @
Type: TXT
Value: v=spf1 a mx a:<your host name here> ip4:your host's ip address here> ~all

Example:
@ v=spf1 a mx a:vps-ad6060c6.vps.ovh.ca ip4:142.44.242.71 ~all

It will help to get mails delivered to a larger number of destinations, but again, if an SPF is missing, email will still generally work.

But that's the spf record for your domain, isn't it?
So it appears mail-tester wants a record for that host, and since you don't control *.vps.ovh.ca you can't set one.
However that requirement doesn't make much sense if forward and reverse lookup for the name given in HELO all match. That should only matter if someone tries to spoof another domain in HELO, but that would be caught by the forward/reverse check.

The SPF record given is correct. Now you only have to make sure that your hostname in Plesk is set to vps-ad6060c6.vps.ovh.ca and that the myhostname variable in the Postfix configuration file is correct and your rDNS entry at your provider is resolving your IP to the same name, too.

But that's the spf record for your domain, isn't it?
So it appears mail-tester wants a record for that host, and since you don't control *.vps.ovh.ca you can't set one.
However that requirement doesn't make much sense if forward and reverse lookup for the name given in HELO all match. That should only matter if someone tries to spoof another domain in HELO, but that would be caught by the forward/reverse check.
So I don't need the helo?
The SPF record given is correct. Now you only have to make sure that your hostname in Plesk is set to vps-ad6060c6.vps.ovh.ca and that the myhostname variable in the Postfix configuration file is correct and your rDNS entry at your provider is resolving your IP to the same name, too.
Will make sure it's set. spam assassin lowered my spam score but still in the negative because now it says From domain was registered in last 14-28 days

If I understand your issue correctly only emails send from trough webmail end up in spam folders of the recipient? But not when email is send trough an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook? Is that right?

Who are you sending mails to? What email providers are you testing with on the receiving end?

If I understand your issue correctly only emails send from trough webmail end up in spam folders of the recipient? But not when email is send trough an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook? Is that right?

Who are you sending mails to? What email providers are you testing with on the receiving end?
gmail. I have only tried gmail haven't tried outlook yet let me try that and i'll get back to you

Back