• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Emails sent locally even though MX is offsite and mail disabled, but no errors, where is the email?

Laurence Cope

New Pleskian
I have a new Plesk server, added a website, all OK.

I disabled the mail service for the domain because the mail is offsite, we dont use email.

Customer reports they are not getting any email.

The logs show this:
Jun 26 14:24:36 s1 postfix/pickup[66350]: 6F6D01A1256: uid=10002 from=<[email protected]>
Jun 26 14:24:36 s1 postfix/cleanup[66321]: 6F6D01A1256: message-id=<[email protected]>
Jun 26 14:24:36 s1 postfix/qmgr[739]: 6F6D01A1256: from=<[email protected]>, size=716, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 26 14:24:36 s1 postfix/pipe[66406]: 6F6D01A1256: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=0.01, delays=0/0.01/0/0, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)
Jun 26 14:24:36 s1 postfix/qmgr[739]: 6F6D01A1256: removed

After some research I found out I should comment out the following lines in the /etc/postfix/main.cf file. I did this now it works OK.

#virtual_mailbox_domains = $virtual_mailbox_maps, hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual_domains
#virtual_alias_maps = $virtual_maps, hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual
#virtual_mailbox_maps = , hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/vmailbox

You can imagine I am quite surprised by the need to do this. Does anyone know what is going on here, why should I need to do this, and are the emails stored locally as there is no error message in the log saying the user does not exist or anything.

In the stock Plesk install, mail for a given domain will first attempt a local delivery regardless of where your mail is located unless it's deactivated. In your case you shouldn't need to modify the /etc/postfix/main.cf to get mail to properly deliver to MX records outside of your domain name. You can deactivate email services at a domain level via the Plesk GUI without modifying the postfix conf file.

If email service is disabled for a domain and email is not resolving outbound then that would suggest some kind of routing/network misconfiguration which isn't allowing outbound email to resolve correctly.

I just disable email service and outbound email resolves correctly on my servers.

Hi,

go into the dns settings of the domain and check whats there.
If DNS is enabled for that domain, make sure the MX entry points to the correct (external) mail server.
If DNS is disabled, make sure you have the correct name servers configured.

Hope it helps,
Tom

DNS is all correct, mail is disabled. I have been doing this for 12 years so its all setup correct. First time using Plesk though so this happens. As stated, the only way to fix was modify the config files.

Back