• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

emergency preparedness

michaellunsford

Regular Pleskian
We had an issue over the weekend where an ISP's router was down for 32 hours. This made our plesk server unreachable for the duration.

I was curious to hear opinions on creating a remote fail-safe server with duplicate client information. Like a secondary name server that would point folks to the secondary location, should the first be unreachable.

Three obvious problems present themselves.

The first is the plesk license. Since this is a "backup" that should only duplicate existing data, would I be required to purchase a second (duplicate) plesk license to maintain legal status? Is it even necessary to load plesk on the fail-safe server?

Second problem: how to properly transfer the information from one location to the other. Since these two boxes should reside behind two completely different networks, transferring data from one to the other will drink up some bandwidth. Is there an "incremental" backup that would take up less space?

Third: This idea uses the plesk boxes as the actual name servers. This would certainly simplify matters. However, I can't help but think this may cause some other unforeseen consequences.

Are there more complications I may be unaware of? email? ftp? Thanks for any help or insight!

Back