• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Enable free sql server express 2008 r2 ?

A

Adam_Mc

I have Plesk panel 10.4.4 on a dedicated self-managed server. My website guy is trying to test the database he created but couldn't, because when I downloaded Mysql in the Panel's update \ upgrade page, and then used Remote Desktop to access the server and install it, the setup (run on the server) kept crashing at the last stage. This is a known bug so I gave up and used Plesk to add 2 more components - sql server 2005 and 2008.

The problem is none of the MS progs would activate as I also needed a key (which I found out after I downloaded \ installed them). Then I found MS Server 2008 R2 Express which was free and was compatible with the server. I downloaded and installed this directly using Remote Desktop on the server. This also says 'Off' on the License page so can't be accessed or used.
1) Do I need to disable or un-install MySQL and SQL Server (the non Express versions of 2005\2008 which are installed)?
2) If so, do I do this from the server using Remote Desktop?
3) How do I activate the SQL Server Express 2008 R2 which is free so doesn't have a key?

Thank you - Adam

P.s. Just checked Services Management in Plesk :
It says :
(between Antivirus and DNS Server)...

component_name__
(Running) SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) 10.50.1600.1 Automatic but disabled (no key \ not installed properly)

then below it says...

(Running) SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER2008) 10.50.1600.1 Automatic but disabled (no key \ not installed properly)

(Running) SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) 10.50.1600.1 Automatic but disabled (no key \ not installed properly)

(Not running) MySQL Server is now switched off (I disabled on server)

Attachments

• screenshot-1.jpg
    screenshot-1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Any Resolution?

Hello,

I was curious about this too and finally gave up and installed my own copy of MS SQL Server 2008 R2 along with the management studio.

Did you ever get an answer on this post?

Please let me know and thanks!

~ Dave

You have to add 'Power Pack' to your Plesk Panel to activate the MSSQL features. The server people re-installed Plesk Panel with the Power Pack and everything worked fine !

Back