• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Enable message submission - only on IPV6

M

m3phisto

hi there,

I'm having some troubles with my mail services for a while,
I've enabled the "Enable message submission" function.
but it seems like the listening port is only IPv6

here is the Netstat output:

netstat -tulpen | grep 587
tcp6 0 0 :::587 :::* LISTEN 0 2144620182 1474/xinetd

does anybody know why this happens?

best regards
m3phisto

edit:

i just looked up /etc/Xinet.d/submission_psa:

service submission
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = qmaild
flags = IPv6
instances = UNLIMITED
env = SUBMISSION=1 SMTPAUTH=1
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming /etc/Xinet.d/ is a typo? It should be /etc/xinetd.d/

Your submission_psa is correct (having ipv6 in there is OK). You will probably also see IPv6 in the flags= for smtp_psa and smtps_psa.

But the output of netstat for me is as follows (tcp as opposed to tcp6)

Code:
tcp        0      0 :::587

We do not run IPv6 on our servers so it may be that something strange is going on when you have IPv6 enabled. Unfortunately this doesn't help you! But at least your submission_psa seems correct.

I wonder if changing flags= to IPv4 will help? It might be worth Googling to find out before you touch that, though, as I'm only guessing!

thx for the replay,

i've tried to change the setting to ipv4
the port comes up, but it seems no service handling the traffic.

i also googled that problem before i started this thread.

That's really strange.

I've had an idea. Make sure that "submission" is correctly listed on /etc/ports.conf

The thing is, before Plesk supported it directly, all that was necessary to get 587 working was to add submission tcp/587 to ports.conf and then copy smtp_psa to submission (and change the port to submission) and it just worked. Plesk wasn't involved. All handled by xinetd. So it is really strange that it is not happening automatically for you, hence my suggestion to check ports.conf (I think it is ports.conf .... the file that has a list of friendly names and numeric names and protocols in it).

on my server there is no /etc/ports.conf

i have only 2 files with the name ports.conf

Code:
 locate ports.conf
/etc/apache2/ports.conf
/etc/fail2ban/action.d/iptables-allports.conf

Yes, it was me being really stupid.

The file I was thinking of was /etc/services not /etc/ports

At the top of smtp_psa and submission_psa and smtps_psa you'll see it says "service smtp" or "service submission" or "service smtps".

The port used comes from the port and protocol listed in /etc/services and that's really why I'm thinking it would be useful to check to make sure you have tcp/587 for submission in /etc/services just in case it isn't there.

I'm sorry about the confusion about the wrong file.

i just checked /etc/services...
everything seems to be alright there.

Back