• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Error: Could not activate firewall configuration:

I just ran that script code and it completely locked up my server. I had to call tech support and it took them like an hour to get it back online.

whatever you do, DONT use the temporary fix.

how much longer do we have to wait for a fix for this ? This is an important part of plesk. If we cant use our own firewall whats the use of having a server ?

You can use a firewall, just dont use theirs - it has sucked for several versions now. Try using APF, its much better anyways.

I copied and pasted the the "preview" code into Shell / Putty...and it only processed about the first 7 lines before it completely froze my server.

How is the proper way to run that preview code ? do I have to do it one line at a time and hit enter after each line ?

I copied and pasted the whole thing the first time, and it froze everything.

Well today everyone is a system admin.

Mike2010 its time to hit up some basic linux classes at a local community college or get a book. If you did not recognize the preview code as shell script ...

I tried the above script in a shell script and it also locked up our server. A reboot took care of the problem, however, I don't really like the fact that the built in firewall is broken.

Anyone care to explain how they are getting this to work?

I placed the preview text into a file called pleskfw.sh and ran it ./pleskfw.sh

Thank you.

Solution: 1: Create restore point and take registry backup.
2: Delete all temp files.
3: Delete all unwanted software's and security software's from add/remove program.
4: Disable all unwanted services from startup and then remove from registry.
5: Reset internet explorer and then register all .dll files.
6: Scan with spyware removal,hijackthis and trojon removal.
7: Check windows update if found and then download and install.
8: Restart the computer, and then check it.

Solution:
The problem is now, the --numiptent variable. You should increase to 1000. I try with less values, such as 300-500 and still with errors.
Then making:
vzctl set VE_ID --numiptent 1000 --save

The problem is absolutely solved.

I fixed the issue. I downloaded the script from our Plesk 8.2 machine and placed it in the psa/modules/firewall folder with the name of the default file and than ran it and it looks like it worked without issues.

Yup, that worked. . .

Hi.

An earlier post to this forum asked about an error message I too was getting with the firewall configuration.

I was getting the following error when I tried to activate a new firewall configuration using Plesk 9:

Error: Another administrator is activating a configuration now.

I was and am the only person logging in to Plesk, so this error was a bit pants.

I think this was initially caused when I had attempted to update the firewall a day or so previously and my computer had crashed before I had activated the configuration. Although I was logged in to Plesk as the same user, it seemed to have created some Plesk magic somewhere preventing me from updating the firewall.

Following this thread, and the posts on touching a file I looked in the same directory and found:

srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb 09 12:52 /usr/local/psa/var/modules/firewall/safeact.confirm

For safety I moved this file to /usr/local/psa/var/modules/firewall/safeact.confirm.bak and tried to activate the firewall... It seems to have worked!

Further investigation seems to suggest that Plesk 9 (at least) has a few issues with deleting this file. The file appears to be created when you click Activate but never seems to be deleted. Plesk checks for the existence of this file and as it has not been deleted thinks somebody else is modifying the firewall settings and denies any subsequent updates. I guess this would traditionally be called a bug. Anybody know if this has been fixed?

Thanks g_bloggs -- That worked for me. . .

- Eric Gillette, GSolutions Online LLC

I respawn this thread because this BUG hasn't been fixed yet in Plesk Panel 9.2.3... it's quite annoying. Please fix this bug! The firewall is a most important feature of a server!

if you are depending on the firewall as a part of your business then as anything in that category I would not depend on Parallels/Plesk to provide that service.

There are far better (free) firewalls out there such as APF which are easier to use and provide better features.

When I delete "safeact.confirm" Plesk Panel does allow me to store the new settings BUT it doesn't activate them because "firewall-active.sh" isn't changed (the changes are stored in "firewall-new.sh") and the "psa-firewall" service loads an empty firewall ruleset. I have to manually delete "firewall-active.sh" and rename "firewall-new.sh". The firewall module is a complete flop!

I uninstalled the module and wrote my own iptables ruleset.

Back