• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Error: Unable to update hosting preferences: Update FTP user failed: ftpmng --update-

J

james younger

ok i have looked everywhere for a fix to this.

ok i have setup a new windows 2003 server and installed iss with ftp service and then installed plesk panel v9.3 for windows and when i try to add a webhost for a domain i am setting up all i get is this error.

Error: Unable to update hosting preferences: Update FTP user failed: ftpmng --update-user failed: Exception occurred. (COM Error 80020009) at addServer

now i have checked to make sure that ftp server was installed and running but im a little confused on this. any help would be great thanks in advance.

There is an issue related not to Plesk, but to Microsoft FTP service, which blocks physical hosting creation in Plesk.
In particular, Default FTP Site is stopped and cannot be started.

Please remove and then install FTP Server using Windows distributive.

Then execute the following commands in turn:

cd %plesk_bin%
ftpmng --reconfigure-all

Then check if the hosting can be created for a domain in Plesk.
Also make sure that port 21 is not already in use. When Plesk creates an FTP site, it tries to start it. But IIS could not start FTP sites because port 21 was already in use. For example, from my experience:

C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin>netstat -aon | findstr :21
TCP 0.0.0.0:21 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 460

C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin>tasklist /FI "PID eq 460"

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
FileZilla server.exe 460 Services 0 3,480 K

According to records it was FileZilla server. I switched FileZilla server to manual start up mode and stopped the service. Then I managed to run the command

C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\ftpmng.exe --reconfigure-all

Back