• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Error when importing mails to a different mailbox location

Denis Gomes Franco

Regular Pleskian
Hey everyone, I'll post this in case someone else has this same issue.

I've set up a VPS on Vultr to host my customers sites and mailboxes, and since mailboxes tend to use A LOT of space, I thought about attaching block storage, which is quite cheap. So I found this tutorial on how to change where mailboxes are stored: How to change the default location of mailboxes in Plesk for Linux?

Works like a charm :D But today I ran into an issue. I just found out that the Site Import extension can also migrate e-mails via IMAP, so I ran it but the script promptly throws an error about not finding the mailboxes location (in my set up, they are now at /mnt/blockstorage/mailnames/). So I fixed that by creating a symlink to that folder under /var/qmail. And now the mail import feature is working just fine.

Now, my feedback to the Plesk team about this issue is:
- The Site Import extension could be modified to detect the current location of the mailboxes (as it seems to be hardcoded)
or
- The abovementioned tutorial can be revised to include a warning about this issue

Also, let me now ask another question: can I really use a symlink instead of changing the mailboxes location as explained in the tutorial? Are there any drawbacks to this? I have changed the actual location and encountered no issues so far, but the tutorial contains a warning telling that the change may be reverted at some point after an update.

Back