• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Error when importing mails to a different mailbox location

Denis Gomes Franco

Regular Pleskian
Hey everyone, I'll post this in case someone else has this same issue.

I've set up a VPS on Vultr to host my customers sites and mailboxes, and since mailboxes tend to use A LOT of space, I thought about attaching block storage, which is quite cheap. So I found this tutorial on how to change where mailboxes are stored: How to change the default location of mailboxes in Plesk for Linux?

Works like a charm :D But today I ran into an issue. I just found out that the Site Import extension can also migrate e-mails via IMAP, so I ran it but the script promptly throws an error about not finding the mailboxes location (in my set up, they are now at /mnt/blockstorage/mailnames/). So I fixed that by creating a symlink to that folder under /var/qmail. And now the mail import feature is working just fine.

Now, my feedback to the Plesk team about this issue is:
- The Site Import extension could be modified to detect the current location of the mailboxes (as it seems to be hardcoded)
or
- The abovementioned tutorial can be revised to include a warning about this issue

Also, let me now ask another question: can I really use a symlink instead of changing the mailboxes location as explained in the tutorial? Are there any drawbacks to this? I have changed the actual location and encountered no issues so far, but the tutorial contains a warning telling that the change may be reverted at some point after an update.

Back