• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Extension information

matrix

New Pleskian
Hi all,
I've read the dedicated page about Multi Server on the docs. But I'm not sure I understood correctly 2 things:
1) Licensing: Do I have to buy a Plesk web host/pro license + multi server license on each node? Or is enough to have only 1 web host/pro license on main node + 1 multiserver license for each node(main node included)?
2) I saw the full video about how it works, it says that all the node must be fresh installs. However I'm not sure if that's correct, does it mean that once I've deployed let's say main node+2 leafs I can't add a 3rd leaf later when those 2 are full? Or it just means that just new leaves to add must be a fresh install? I'm asking because I don't know how many will I need after the first 2/3, so I'm looking for a solution that let's me add more nodes later if needed.

Thanks for your time

Hi @matrix

1) Licensing: Do I have to buy a Plesk web host/pro license + multi server license on each node? Or is enough to have only 1 web host/pro license on main node + 1 multiserver license for each node(main node included)?

Multi Server license is distributed as an additional license. It is mean that you should have the two licenses on each node: 1 Plesk main license (Web Host or Web Pro) + Multi Server additional license.

For example, if you have Multi Server management node and two service nodes, you should 3 Plesk main license + 3 Multi Server additional license installed.

2) I saw the full video about how it works, it says that all the node must be fresh installs. However I'm not sure if that's correct, does it mean that once I've deployed let's say main node+2 leafs I can't add a 3rd leaf later when those 2 are full? Or it just means that just new leaves to add must be a fresh install? I'm asking because I don't know how many will I need after the first 2/3, so I'm looking for a solution that let's me add more nodes later if needed.

It is possible to add as many service nodes as you want at any time is needed independently of workload on Multi Server infrastructure.

If you will have 20 service nodes with 500 sites on each you are still will be able to add a new one.

The only requirement that a new service node should be clean during an adding process (no customers, no subscriptions), have the same Plesk version (Plesk Onyx +) and the same OS as on management node.

This license is too expensive.

The whole plugin is designed to increase the cost of the main license. For the scope of the offered, is too little.

I summarize once:
  1. Each participating server must be assigned a "Plesk Web PRO Edition" or a "Plesk Web HOST Edition" license, as well as a license for "Plesk MultiServer".
  2. According to Plesk, all servers must be assigned the same Plesk license type, either "PRO" or "HOST".
  3. The management node can not host Websites. Only Service nodes can do this.
  4. All hosts must have exactly the same operating system
  5. No subscriptions, customers, or reseller must exist on either server!
  6. The plugin is still felt in the beta
But Plesk wants a lot of money. Sorry, but I will stay with the old one. For this I am clearly too little offered here. Apart from the fact that a few weeks ago it was not clear that it would cost at all. But so the plugin has no meaning at all for me. Serious.

For the future the cPanel will make more sense.

This license is too expensive.

The whole plugin is designed to increase the cost of the main license. For the scope of the offered, is too little.

I summarize once:
  1. Each participating server must be assigned a "Plesk Web PRO Edition" or a "Plesk Web HOST Edition" license, as well as a license for "Plesk MultiServer".
  2. According to Plesk, all servers must be assigned the same Plesk license type, either "PRO" or "HOST".
  3. The management node can not host Websites. Only Service nodes can do this.
  4. All hosts must have exactly the same operating system
  5. No subscriptions, customers, or reseller must exist on either server!
  6. The plugin is still felt in the beta
But Plesk wants a lot of money. Sorry, but I will stay with the old one. For this I am clearly too little offered here. Apart from the fact that a few weeks ago it was not clear that it would cost at all. But so the plugin has no meaning at all for me. Serious.

For the future the cPanel will make more sense.
I know what you mean, but it's not all bad as you describe.
I'm fine with having an empty management node.
I'm fine with having to add nodes from scratch (you can import sites later as you would normally do anyway if you weren't using any panel)
I can even close an eye on having the OS on all nodes (you can make cluster with multiple management nodes anyway, separating the OSes)

But I strongly agree with your first point. There should be no need to buy a host/pro licence for an empty node (management) OR if I have to at least make other nodes being usable with only the multiserver license. I don't need a web panel on leaves, I can manage everything from the main node. There should a be a minimal plesk version installable with just the multiserver key, no GUI, just the services and the ability to do everything from the main node GUI. This is what I expected from a multiserver license.

But again you can't really call CPanel as an alternative, since a single host license is 45$ (per server) which is the triple of a Plesk+Multiserver price for the PRO and double for the HOST. So you can't really blame the price.

According to Plesk, all servers must be assigned the same Plesk license type, either "PRO" or "HOST".

We have no such limitation. You can have 'Web Pro' license on the first service node, and 'Web Host' license on the second one.
We have only one recommendation: use 'Web Host' license on the management node. Otherwise, Plesk Multi Server infrastructure will be limited to 30 domains ('Web Pro' license limitation).

No subscriptions, customers, or reseller must exist on either server!

don't need a web panel on leaves, I can manage everything from the main node. There should a be a minimal plesk version installable with just the multiserver key, no GUI, just the services and the ability to do everything from the main node GUI.

Yes, you can add only clean Plesk installations to the Plesk Multi Server at this time. But the migration option is already available for Plesk servers and various source platforms https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/migration-guide/introduction.75496/

In addition, in the next update, we introduce a new feature which allows adding existing Plesk servers (with customers and subscriptions) to the Multi Server.
Thus, our customers will always be able to attach/detach Plesk servers to Multi Server infrastructure.

This is one of the reasons, why we use Plesk GUI on the service nodes. You will always be able to continue to manage your Plesk server even if it was detached from Multi Server.

But I strongly agree with your first point. There should be no need to buy a host/pro licence for an empty node (management) OR if I have to at least make other nodes being usable with only the multiserver license. I don't need a web panel on leaves, I can manage everything from the main node. There should a be a minimal plesk version installable with just the multiserver key, no GUI, just the services and the ability to do everything from the main node GUI. This is what I expected from a multiserver license.

I fully agree with you.

But again you can't really call CPanel as an alternative, since a single host license is 45$ (per server) which is the triple of a Plesk+Multiserver price for the PRO and double for the HOST. So you can't really blame the price.

No, cPanel has the price of 29,90 € for me and Plesk Web Host edition 24,99 € per month.

We have no such limitation. You can have 'Web Pro' license on the first service node, and 'Web Host' license on the second one.
We have only one recommendation: use 'Web Host' license on the management node. Otherwise, Plesk Multi Server infrastructure will be limited to 30 domains ('Web Pro' license limitation).

Thanks for your Reply. This misinformation has been obtained from your reseller Hetzner Online GmbH. Sorry for this wrong information. I have more Questions:
  • Are the domains on a service-node with the licence 'Web Host' on the service node, limited to 30 domains? Or counts only the license on the management node?
  • What is the advantage of the license 'Web Pro' on a service node?
Yes, you can add only clean Plesk installations to the Plesk Multi Server at this time. But the migration option is already available for Plesk servers and various source platforms https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/migration-guide/introduction.75496/

Your video gives the impression that all servers, including the management node, are not allowed to have any customers or hostings in order to successfully implement them (Management-Node and Service-node must clean).

*No subscriptions, customers, or reseller must exist on either server!

In addition, in the next update, we introduce a new feature which allows adding existing Plesk servers (with customers and subscriptions) to the Multi Server.

That sounds good!

The already known information, also with your partners, are very bad. No one knows really what your new plugin can do and what limitations there are. I wish one of you that the information will become more and more accurate.

Last edited:
  • Are the domains on a service-node with the licence 'Web Host' on the service node, limited to 30 domains? Or counts only the license on the management node?

Plesk have the following types of licenses:
* Web Host - unlimited domains
* Web Pro - limited to 30 domains
* Web Admin - limited 5 domains

If a service node has 'Web Host' license - the number of domains is not limited;
If a service node has 'Web Pro' license - the number of domains is limited to 30 domains.

What is the advantage of the license 'Web Pro' on a service node?

1. It can be used for newly added service nodes because it has a lower price. When the count of domains will become more than 30, it always possible to install a new 'Web Host' license to this service node, and use 'Web Pro' license on the next one.
2. It will be possible to add Plesk servers which already use 'Web Pro' license.

The already known information, also with your partners, are very bad. No one knows really what your new plugin can do and what limitations there are. I wish one of you that the information will become more and more accurate.

We work on that. Thank you for your help.

We have eLeanrning module about Plesk Multi Server at Plesk University. The new version should be published in the next week. I believe it can shade the light on a missing information. I will post the link when it will be published.

@enerspace @matrix
Thank you for interesting by our product. We are continuing to improve Multi Server so I would like to ask you to feel the survey http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3307411/Plesk-Multi-Server

Also, we are looking for a way of improving communication with our customers. If you have any suggestions how it could be done please feel free to write me in a direct message.

Hi Anthony,

thanks for your Reply. I will participate in the survey.

If the license model has not yet been finalized, I can tell you my ideas as to how the extension would make more sense.

For me, it is difficult to understand that the "management node" requires a "host license" to display all the domains created on the "service nodes". The "management node" can just that. Although the domains are not physically present on the "management node", you still count.

I would have two licence suggestions. These would make the topic more interesting.
  1. The "management node" has neither a "web pro" nor a "web host" edition. Only the multi-server license. The "service nodes" have a Plesk license "Web Pro or Web Host" + The MultiServer license.

or

2. The "management node" has a "web pro" or a "web host" edition + a multi-server license. The "service nodes" have only a MultiServer license or a MultiServer stand alone licence.
The second point would correspond more to your customers and you would reach a higher customer relationship. Assuming it can nodes are added to at any time later new service. Regardless of the operating system.

Or bether, no extra costs for Multiserver :p

Thanks and sorry for my english ;)

Last edited:
Back