• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Fail2ban 504 Gateway Time-out when opening Banned IP Addresses

Necroman

Basic Pleskian
Hi! I'm having an issue where fail2ban service is running, i can access jails, logs and settings, but i'm having a 504 Gateway Time-out when opening Banned IP Addresses. Also turning on or off jails always gives me an error about time-out and try later to see the changes.

I have read a lot about fail2ban issues, but i'm unable to solve my problem. I'm using Plesk 12.0.18 Update #85 on CentOS 6 x64 and uninstalled Fail2ban and installed again using Plesk Installer. Its seems to be removed and reinstallled ok but after i Enable intrusion detection, the issues remain. I tried going to Fail2ban logs but there aren't any, and i can't find the log file on my server (/etc/fail2ban/fail2ban.conf has a logtarget = SYSLOG if that helps - i also see a /etc/fail2ban.previous folder).

I have read somewhere that i may have EPEL or 3rd party repositories that interfered with fail2ban and so i don't have the right version for Plesk, but as i stated i installed fail2ban using Plesk Installer.

Can someone help? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Necroman,

depending to your server specifications, to the amount of banned IPs, ... it might be a good idea to increase your values for the sw-cp-server ( own webserver only for the Plesk Control Panel ):

Go to : /etc/sw-cp-server/config

Pls. make a backup of the existing configuration file, before editing!

Increase the values for example to:
Code:
    #keepalive_timeout  0;
    keepalive_timeout  130;
    #tcp_nodelay        on;

fastcgi_max_temp_file_size 0;
    fastcgi_buffers 64 64k;
    fastcgi_buffer_size 128k;

fastcgi_read_timeout 900;
    fastcgi_send_timeout 900;

client_max_body_size 3072m;

Pls. read and follow as well:

Last, pls. consider to READ your error - logs, to be sure, what the cause of your error is:

/var/log/plesk/sw-cp-server/error_log
/var/log/plesk/panel.log
... and consider as well to change your log - level, to get a better output in your log - files, for investigations:

Thanks very much! This solved my problem:
Fail2Ban service gets stuck and IP Address Banning (Fail2Ban) page is not accessible ( KB - article 127495 )

A newer version of fail2ban was installed using epel repository. However, i would like to see Plesk 12.0 supporting the newest version of fail2ban! This would be great!

I also like to add that the steps from article 127495 were not enough to solve the problem completely, because after i removed the newer fail2ban, the plesk supported one had the same issues. I noticed problems when activating jails, because before if i activated a jail that couldn't be activated, it immediately informed me, but this wasn't happening. So after removing fail2ban i also had to remove all files and folder from fail2ban and then installed the plesk version via plesk installed. I have much less jails now, but i think they are all working.

Thanks again!

Back