• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

fail2ban error

Wikibear

Regular Pleskian
Somebody get this also?

Code:
Fehler: f2bmng failed: Job for fail2ban.service failed. See 'systemctl status fail2ban.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
ERROR:f2bmng:Failed to start fail2ban service

Search for related Knowledge Base articles

-- Unit fail2ban.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Unit fail2ban.service entered failed state.
Aug 20 14:22:14 noreply.flusiserver.de agetty[14140]: /dev/hvc0: No such file or directory

Code:
fail2ban.service - Fail2ban Service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Wed 2014-08-20 14:22:13 CEST; 4min 30s ago
  Process: 14173 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fail2ban-client -x start (code=exited, status=255)
  Process: 14171 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/mkdir -p -m 755 /var/run/fail2ban (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: control process exited, code=exited status=255
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Failed to start Fail2ban Service.
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Unit fail2ban.service entered failed state.
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: fail2ban.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Stopping Fail2ban Service...
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Starting Fail2ban Service...
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: fail2ban.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Aug 20 14:22:13 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Failed to start Fail2ban Service.

How can i solve this? Machine is opensuse 13.1. jails are dedicative.

Last edited:
use this command to flush your iptables:
iptables -F​

... and continue with a manual start of fail2ban with:
service fail2ban restart​

If you now experience any problems, it would be usefull, that you include your "/var/log/fail2ban.log" from the restart, as well as other system logs from this time.

The log is missing totally? Did fail2ban work for you before? Is this a new fail2ban installation over Plesk Panel? Did you recently make any changes to your system? Any updates/upgrades? The more information you provide, the more logs and own investigation you give about what you did and tried, the better is our possible help! ^^

Yes sure but there is no log file from fail2ban. I installed it via plesk panel. I will give you all information i have, but you can see what i post. I dont know more. :( I have tried to uninstall and install again. But no luck.

As I can see in your previous forum posts, you had a backup installed on your system, because of a hardware loss. Did you do a fresh installation of your operating system and of Plesk and ( before installing the backup ), all services from Plesk worked without any issues?

Due to the fact, that you have as well issues with postfix ( other thread ), I would recommend, that you try to repair your Plesk installation with the Plesk bootstrapper. The Plesk 12.0.8 bootstrapper is located at "/opt/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper" ... so your command at your shell would be:

/opt/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

If there are any faults, you will find these in the logs at "/var/log/plesk/install"

In linux opensuse system there are no files at opt. All files are in /usr. I try this:

/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

Fail2ban dont work, same issue.

logs:

START Bootstrapper 12.0.18 repair AT Wed Aug 20 21:49:15 CEST 2014

**** Product repair started.

===> Checking for previous installation ... found.
Started bootstrapper repair procedure. This may take a while.
Certain actions may be skipped if not applicable.

Trying to start service mysql... done
Trying to establish test connection... connected
done
Trying to start service mysql... done
Trying to establish test connection... connected
done
Trying to find psa database... version is 012000018
Version is OK, no need to create psa database.
Trying to backup MySQL database... Warning: Not dumping MySQL database 'atmail' as it doesn't exist
done
MySQL databases are dumped to /var/lib/psa/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.12.0.18-12.0.18.20140820-214915.dump.gz
Finishing up upgrade procedures and rerunning previously failed upgrade actions...
===> Cumulative APS controller database (apsc) upgrade and repair has been started.
Upgrade or repair for 'apsc' (stage 'prep') is not required
Trying to backup MySQL database... done
MySQL databases are dumped to /var/lib/psa/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.apsc.12.0.18-12.0.18.20140820-214919.dump.gz
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of APS controller database has been completed.
Connection to APSC DB is possible
===> Cumulative APS controller upgrade and repair (final stage) has been started.
Upgrade or repair for 'apsc' (stage 'post') is not required
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of APS controller (final stage) has been completed.
Trying to reset database user password for 'pma_hcmVycpR1jwy@'... done
===> Cumulative Plesk database upgrade and repair (revertable stage) has been started.
Upgrade or repair for 'core' (stage 'prep') is not required
===> Preparing Plesk database upgrade (revertable stage).
Trying to resolve hostname 'noreply.flusiserver.de' and validate its IP address... done

Trying to set psa database version to 012000018... done
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of Plesk database (revertable stage) has been completed.
Database is up-to-date
===> Cumulative Plesk upgrade and repair (final stage) has been started.
Upgrade or repair for 'core' (stage 'post') is not required
===> Preparing Plesk upgrade (final stage).
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of Plesk (final stage) has been completed.
Trying to upgrade and repair SpamAssassin service configuration... Upgrade or repair for 'spamassassin' (stage 'files') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Courier-IMAP services configuration (prep stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'courier_imap' (stage 'prep') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Courier-IMAP services configuration (post stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'courier_imap' (stage 'post') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Courier-IMAP services configuration (bootstrapper-post stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'courier_imap' (stage 'bootstrapper-post') is not required
done
Trying to condrestart service courier-imapd... done
Trying to condrestart service courier-imaps... done
Trying to condrestart service courier-pop3d... done
Trying to condrestart service courier-pop3s... done
Trying to upgrade and repair Horde webmail configuration... Upgrade or repair for 'horde' (stage 'files') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Fail2Ban configuration (bootstrapper-prep stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'fail2ban' (stage 'bootstrapper-prep') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Fail2Ban configuration (bootstrapper-post stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'fail2ban' (stage 'bootstrapper-post') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Firewall service configuration... Upgrade or repair for 'firewall' (stage 'post') is not required
done
Reconfiguring mail subsystem...
Trying to execute mail_restore to synchronize mail server settings and Plesk Database... ==> Checking for: mailsrv_conf_init... ok
==> Checking for: mail_handlers_init... ok
==> Checking for: mailsrv_entities_dump... ok
==> Checking for: mail_admin_aliases... ok
==> Checking for: mail_auth_dump... ok
==> Checking for: mailman_lists_dump... ok
==> Checking for: mail_kav8_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_responder_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_imap_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_spam_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_grey_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_mailbox_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_spf_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_dk_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_drweb_restore... not found, skipped
==> Checking for: mail_outgoing_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_transport_restore... ok
done
Reconfiguring Apache web server...
Reconfiguring ProFTPD FTP server...
Reconfiguring AWStats web statistics...
Reconfiguring WatchDog...
Restoring SELinux contexts...
Regenerating web servers' configuration files...
Cleaning active Panel sessions...

Bootstrapper repair finished.
If problems persist, please check installer logs ('/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair.log' and '/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair_problems.log') for errors.
If you can't resolve the issue on your own, please address Parallels support.

**** Product repair completed successfully.

STOP Bootstrapper 12.0.18 repair AT Wed Aug 20 21:50:43 CEST 2014

But no /var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair_problems.log

My thoughts are, that fail2ban isn't able to start because of missing logs. To verify this, please use "service fail2ban restart" and provide us with the information from "journalctl --full" after the start fails.

Nice, i think there is something possible... :)

Aug 20 22:15:06 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: fail2ban.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Aug 20 22:15:06 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Stopping Fail2ban Service...
Aug 20 22:15:06 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Starting Fail2ban Service...
Aug 20 22:15:07 noreply.flusiserver.de fail2ban-client[24668]: ERROR No file(s) found for glob /var/log/plesk-roundcube/errors
Aug 20 22:15:07 noreply.flusiserver.de fail2ban-client[24668]: ERROR Failed during configuration: Have not found any log file for plesk-roundcube jail
Aug 20 22:15:07 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: control process exited, code=exited status=255
Aug 20 22:15:07 noreply.flusiserver.de systemd[1]: Failed to start Fail2ban Service.

I found more errors that confuse me. I think i have complete corrupt opensuse installation with some missing files something else... I think i reinit the hole machine and start with fresh system...

I dont have roundcube installed...

Last edited:
Good idea ^^ ... and don't forget to install as well "libgamin" , "python-gamin" and "python-pyinotify" , because Fail2ban uses these as backend options for the logs. Make sure to install all Plesk features, BEFORE you re-install your backups, so that you can confirm, that all Plesk services work as expected. I would suggest as well to test the features after a new installation... at least one jail in fail2ban, a test-domain with test-ftp, test-database and test-webmail and all other system feature that you need.

The "plesk-roundcube" - jail is just a preconfigured jail that comes with the Plesk-Fail2ban-Installation. You may certainly de-activate all not-needed jails over the Plesk-Panel, or manually in the jail.local config at /etc/fail2ban/.

Back